I think My Serama rooster has piece of crawfish stuck in his esophogus. labored breathing

Pics

marque

Songster
Apr 1, 2015
5 minutes from Galveston Texas
For 2 days my 11 mo. Serama rooster is having labored breathing, his breath smells of rotten fish and his comb is turning black. I assume that that has to be from not enough oxygen. We do have crawfish digging up out of the mud in our yard and the chickens are always eating them. Is there anything I can do because he looks like he's dying on me. He just stands still and puts his head under his wing and sleeps standing up on the ground instead of staying with his social group.

im sorry i didnt see ur post til now. I thought I had my notifications turned on. His crop isn't full and hard. When he breathes, he does sound kind of like he's wheezing when he breathes in and sometimes a little gurgling when he breathes out. He's kind of smacking a lot like he has bad acid indigestion like a person with acid reflux...burping and coughing stuff back up into his mouth. He seemed a bit more active yesterday but today he's puffed up again and tired like he cant stay awake. His breath still smells like rotten fish. I'm picking my daughter up at school but as soon as i get home I will take a current picture of him and post it

Feel his crop. Is it extremely full and hard?

Does he rattle when he breathes?

Can you post a photo of him?
20181126_075943.jpg
20181126_075943.jpg
20181125_165507.jpg

I would try to see a vet ASAP since his crop is dark, and he obviously is not getting enough oxygen to his heart and organs. They could look for something stuck in his trachea or esophagus. Have you ever had any chickens with canker before? That is a disease that causes gunk to form inside the beak and airway, and smells rotten. I would take a flashlight and a popsicle stick to look around the inside of his beak and throat for any yellow to grayish tissue. Here is some reading about it:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker

Sour crop might also be a problem, but it can take time to treat, and right now, I would just make sure that his airway is clear. A sour crop is puffy like a balloon and very foul smelling. This image below is a peafowl, but you can see the open airway by the circle at the base of the tongue. The esophagus is located in the chicken’s right back of the throat, and not seen.
upload_2018-11-28_18-2-45.jpeg

I would try to see a vet ASAP since his crop is dark, and he obviously is not getting enough oxygen to his heart and organs. They could look for something stuck in his trachea or esophagus. Have you ever had any chickens with canker before? That is a disease that causes gunk to form inside the beak and airway, and smells rotten. I would take a flashlight and a popsicle stick to look around the inside of his beak and throat for any yellow to grayish tissue. Here is some reading about it:
I don't think its sour crop. I've seen that, but I have not had a chicken with canker. He does seem like the inside of his mouth is greyish. I keep trying to clean his mouth out because it looks like he has something in it or its gooey or foamy but nothing comes out. He is young, less than a year old. We have 3 acres outside of town so theres always wild birds around. Blackbirds, crows, Mockingbirds, sparrows and doves. He is still eating and drinking. The only vets we have around here...( Santa fe, near Galveston Tx.) that see chickens are 1 or 2 exotic animal vets. Its an easy $500 as soon as you walk in the door.

Back
Top Bottom