I thought grandparents were suppose to be a god-send.

She went as far as having them send copies of school documents to her house. She's using her job as an excuse to get ahold of this stuff. She works in the school district where she lives (900+ miles away I remind you). When I found out I told the teachers not to give her anymore information. I told them that it's getting very stressful on me and the father, trying to manage where our information is going.

Your teachers actually sent the stuff, without your permission, across state lines to someone claiming to have an interest?

Wow... I would SO be suing them... or reporting them or SOMETHING.

Wonder how many other kids' info they've just handed over to anyone who CALLED and said they wanted it.

That's downright creepy.

Quote:
My other half is going to call her later today and discuss things with her. He already told me that he is going to tell her that if she is coming to start trouble then not to bother coming at all. He doesn't really like her to begin with. She treated him like crap when he lived with her. Favored her daughter over him. Buying her daughter cars, paying for her college expenses, paying her living expenses when she went to college. Etc Etc. While he had to pay his own way with out any help, and got his car taken away from him when he decided to move here, thanks to it being cosigned with her.

Quote:
They had asked us if it was ok to tell her the progress of our daughter's learning. We felt that was ok, since she would be bugging them to know and not us. We had no idea that they was taking that as an ok to send her documents about everything we discussed with them. She was even getting papers saying when we would be having home visits with the new teacher for the upcoming year. Since our daughter is going to a privet school, the teachers are a lot more involved I guess.

Quote:
Is that even legal?
That sounds like an abuse of her position and she needs to be reported....and fired.

I don't know. Have no idea of the legal rules regarding this at all to be honest. I'm sort of ignorant when it comes to laws and such about these sort of things. We didn't even know she was getting papers till she called us one day and said something about a home visit we was suppose to be having in August with our daughter's new teacher for this fall. Turns out I never got that paper, and she did get the paper, so I didn't even know about the home visit yet, I hadn't even had a chance to meet her new teacher yet. So she was finding out about things before we even was. It was very frustrating. I felt the letter should of been sent to us NOT her.

A verbal okay to verbally tell her "She's doing fine, reading is up, math is good...." is one thing.

It is not remotely the same as a written release allowing the distribution of private records.

I wonder if Admin knows they did this? In this day and age MOST schools are paranoid about covering their tails.

Gran absolutely abused her position and agree with Berry that she should be reported. She has a position of trust and she's violated it. Blatantly. Call the district she works in and ask what THEIR rules are for transcript transfers/mailings... what forms are required... parent signature... etc. Should be pretty easy to find out what's required and since it's HER district she knows the rules, no paper with YOUR siggy on it means she violated her own district's rules.

THEN you talk to admin at your school, ask them their transcript rules, and let them know that their teacher ignored them.

Maybe it's just this one teacher... hope so... but it needs to be stopped. What if the person requesting that info ISN'T a 'sweet old granny'.

It's just not worth the risk...

Last edited:
I suggest going to the school and demanding to see your kids' records and see who is and is not listed as authorized contacts.

And make sure they are what you want them to be.

(My MIL made the mistake of calling my HR department and trying to get into my personnel records with the excuse that I was a miserable person and deserved to lose my job. She was mad because I didn't go change her lightbulbs immediately when she called demanding me to. Let's just say she doesn't cross me anymore)

Quote:
*snort*

Excellent advice, and since you're online anyway, look up the laws pertaining to the situation?

Back
Top Bottom