I thought guns were banned in England??

redhen I think your understanding of our parliamentary system is very accurate. If you came back for a visit I don't think you would find much had changed over the years. Looking from the inside out, I am astonished at the opinions that some people have about UK, and can't quite see where it comes from? I also think it alarming that some contibutors to the forum think UK a dangerous place where there is lots of incidents of gun crime. This could not be more untrue. There is merit in what you say about arming the police. It has always been believed that this would esculate the use of guns by criminals.

Bombings are carried out by terrorists, as they are all over the world sadly. Not because people don't have access to guns.

Chickened I would advise you to Google, why did US become involved in WW2. Not to save UK and Europe you will see, but because following Pearl Harbour, Germany declared war on US. Some might say their hand was forced.

I agree our hand was forced by germany's declaration of war but Roosevelt and churchill decided it would be a Germany first policy and we were already sending pilots and war material on a large scale so you see it was to save Btitain as Britain was the only country left not occupied, mostly because of the channel and geoghraphic isolation. Britain took a beating at Dunkirk and had Hitler invaded then some say it would have been over.

In truth the U.S. entered the war due to the Tripartite Pact which required the axis powers to declare war on any nation that declared war on any of the ones that signed it. Germany did not want us there they had beaten Eourpe for the most part and was dealing with the Russians.

All I will say about an armed society is it would be a very polite society. The UK is very good at removing bad people from it's society and partly due to the rights of the accused not being what we have which I must admit is lacking here. We allow our sex offenders to roam in public as an example and make them "promise" they will check in by registering them as if somehow knowing one lives near you will stop them.

Below is a link I found about gun crime, read the part about knife crime. Seems a gun usually wins a knife fight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6960431.stm

redhen I think your understanding of our parliamentary system is very accurate. If you came back for a visit I don't think you would find much had changed over the years. Looking from the inside out, I am astonished at the opinions that some people have about UK, and can't quite see where it comes from? I also think it alarming that some contibutors to the forum think UK a dangerous place where there is lots of incidents of gun crime. This could not be more untrue. There is merit in what you say about arming the police. It has always been believed that this would esculate the use of guns by criminals.

Bombings are carried out by terrorists, as they are all over the world sadly. Not because people don't have access to guns.

Chickened I would advise you to Google, why did US become involved in WW2. Not to save UK and Europe you will see, but because following Pearl Harbour, Germany declared war on US. Some might say their hand was forced.

If it wasn't for our right to own guns Japan would have invaded during WWII. Only reason they didn't is because they had intel that said almost every citizen is armed.

They relied on General Yamamoto who was educated here and lived here prior to the war. He said after Pearl that "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant" How right he was.

If it wasn't for our right to own guns Japan would have invaded during WWII. Only reason they didn't is because they had intel that said almost every citizen is armed.

Japan had no interest in invading. They just wanted to disable our naval fleet so they could take over islands in the Pacific without opposition.

I can't believe I'm about to agree with this guy, but he's right. The Japanese objective was entirely to take over the Pacific - they had little or no interest in the US mainland. They wanted to form an, ahem, "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere," whatever the crap that is.

On the other hand, Hitler looked at heavily-armed Switzerland and the freaking Soviet Union, and chose to attack the Soviet Union. Think about that - Hitler launched attacks against Great Power after Great Power, and the psychopath completely avoided invading a little country that nobody called a Great Power.
Japan had no interest in invading. They just wanted to disable our naval fleet so they could take over islands in the Pacific without opposition.

The Japanese thought that an attack would evoke peace talks but thier letter warning of the attack was late and the attack at Pearl was deemed a surprise attack and evoked anger in the American people which they feared and was warned about by Yamamoto. After Midway Japan was on the defense and could not invade if they wanted to. The 911 attacks were similar and few young men volunteered after that attack.

Last edited:
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.
lau.gif

I can't believe I'm about to agree with this guy, but he's right. The Japanese objective was entirely to take over the Pacific - they had little or no interest in the US mainland. They wanted to form an, ahem, "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere," whatever the crap that is.

On the other hand, Hitler looked at heavily-armed Switzerland and the freaking Soviet Union, and chose to attack the Soviet Union. Think about that - Hitler launched attacks against Great Power after Great Power, and the psychopath completely avoided invading a little country that nobody called a Great Power.

Back
Top Bottom