I thought I was getting better at this but...

Rachael4444

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Masstown, Nova Scotia
Hey everyone! I thought I had nailed their genders a couple weeks ago based on how they feathered out, but this one (attached) has recently sprouted some pretty masculine looking feathers on “her” shoulders and a more prominent comb than her sisters. She’s five and a half weeks old and an Ameraucana mixed with either a Black Copper Maran or a Speckled Sussex (not sure). Thoughts?

Attachments

• 556E70BD-6B4C-486A-AF04-0DD1AB2B85E8.jpeg
    556E70BD-6B4C-486A-AF04-0DD1AB2B85E8.jpeg
    864.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 432DC91F-473B-4BF1-9C36-443DE7C28CDB.jpeg
    432DC91F-473B-4BF1-9C36-443DE7C28CDB.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 25
  • C5A5BF3C-38D1-498F-AAA9-2C6C151C639E.jpeg
    C5A5BF3C-38D1-498F-AAA9-2C6C151C639E.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 22
Hey everyone! I thought I had nailed their genders a couple weeks ago based on how they feathered out, but this one (attached) has recently sprouted some pretty masculine looking feathers on “her” shoulders and a more prominent comb than her sisters. She’s five and a half weeks old and an Ameraucana mixed with either a Black Copper Maran or a Speckled Sussex (not sure). Thoughts?
Boy.

What a handsome little chick! I love his eye color. He is really different looking feather coloring also but very nice. I bet he will make a handsome rooster when he is older. I hope you can keep roosters. Don’t cull him if he is nice cause his eye color is too different if his mood is too sweet to go with them. Really handsome dude I think.

And he is neither a BCM nor a SS. He’s a Olive Egger.

Ah, ok. I’m new to “cool” breeds and the lady I got him from just briefly said they were all from her Ameraucana’s eggs and the dads were either of those breeds, but that an Ameraucana x BCM = olive egger, which I suppose is consistent with what you’re saying!

What a handsome little chick! I love his eye color. He is really different looking feather coloring also but very nice. I bet he will make a handsome rooster when he is older. I hope you can keep roosters. Don’t cull him if he is nice cause his eye color is too different if his mood is too sweet to go with them. Really handsome dude I think.
Thank you, I think so too! Luckily we have lots of hens and lots of room. I’m really excited to have a flashy rooster, haha.

Back
Top Bottom