I tried the bumblefoot surgery!! IDK???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrizzledFarmer, Sep 17, 2011.

1. FrizzledFarmer

FrizzledFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    So I followed the posts, with pictures, of Ruth's bumblefoot surgery. All things went well. There is swelling on the top and the bottom of the foot, with a yellowish brown hard spot on the bottom. Just FYI, we got this hen 2 weeks ago as a rescue. I soaked for 20 minutes in warm water, epsom salt, and betadine. Then I used a scalpel to cut around the yellow spot, took the tweezers and pulled. The yellow piece was about the size of a kernel of corn, and it had a tail on it about 1.5 inches. I continued to dig around and more stringy things came out. I soaked and repeated 2 more times. There were strings that continued to come out, but no "cheesy" plug or ball that everyone keeps talking about. I massaged, squeezed and pushed (during the surgery and during the soaks). The foot remains swollen and inside the hole continues to have tissue in there. However, I cannot tell if it is healthy, but just swollen tissue or if it is stuff that needs to come out. After digging the tweezers in there for a while, there were grinding sounds/feelings (which obviously could be tendons, etc.).

My questions are:
    How do I know I got out all of the infection?
    Should there still be tissue in there? I have seen pics online where there is just an empty pocket of skin with a huge hole.
    I gave her Tylan and electrolytes after the surgery. Is there anything else I should be doing?

THANKS!

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    can you post some pics? that would help

3. FrizzledFarmer

FrizzledFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
  4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009