I tried the bumblefoot surgery!! IDK???

FrizzledFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
So I followed the posts, with pictures, of Ruth's bumblefoot surgery. All things went well. There is swelling on the top and the bottom of the foot, with a yellowish brown hard spot on the bottom. Just FYI, we got this hen 2 weeks ago as a rescue. I soaked for 20 minutes in warm water, epsom salt, and betadine. Then I used a scalpel to cut around the yellow spot, took the tweezers and pulled. The yellow piece was about the size of a kernel of corn, and it had a tail on it about 1.5 inches. I continued to dig around and more stringy things came out. I soaked and repeated 2 more times. There were strings that continued to come out, but no "cheesy" plug or ball that everyone keeps talking about. I massaged, squeezed and pushed (during the surgery and during the soaks). The foot remains swollen and inside the hole continues to have tissue in there. However, I cannot tell if it is healthy, but just swollen tissue or if it is stuff that needs to come out. After digging the tweezers in there for a while, there were grinding sounds/feelings (which obviously could be tendons, etc.).

My questions are:
How do I know I got out all of the infection?
Should there still be tissue in there? I have seen pics online where there is just an empty pocket of skin with a huge hole.
I gave her Tylan and electrolytes after the surgery. Is there anything else I should be doing?

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom