I wanna get a bunny! Questions...

<3ChickenForever

Fire Is Catching
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
WI
I really want a bunny! One that's tame and it can be either gender. Few questions..

1. Which breed of bunny is the best?
2. What are the aprox. costs of cages?
3. What's the best feed for bunnies?
4. Where can I get bunnies that's nearest to me?

Thanks and there might be more questions to come!

We have a half lion head and half mini rex and he has the most adorable personality ever! I had lops and mini lops years ago which were also sweet but I dont remember them being as friendly as our current one. As far as cages, I would shop online on craigslist, ebay, or check your local ads. We bought a nice cage at a petstore chain for 100 then a few weeks later found one that put our store bought one to shame and we got it for 50. So Itty Bit ended up with an indoor cage as well as one for the sunroom. Food: the pellets are all pretty close to the same, Then rabbits need fresh timothy hay available all the time. They also love veggies given regularly. I would also check craigslist.com to find someone close to you that sells them. You can also contact your local 4h club for people that have bunnies for sale near you. I hope this is the info you were looking for?

I personally adore rexes. They are velvety soft and tend to be very interactive. A male is generally friendlier, females can be grouchy and guard their cages. But, a male may spray. Either sex can be fixed, and for females that can significantly lengthen their lifespan.
Pellets should be limited and their primary feed should be timothy and dark leafy greens.
Try the houserabbit society. They do rescue and may have places you can get one nearby.

<3ChickenForever :

I really want a bunny! One that's tame and it can be either gender. Few questions..

1. Which breed of bunny is the best?
2. What are the aprox. costs of cages?
3. What's the best feed for bunnies?
4. Where can I get bunnies that's nearest to me?

Thanks and there might be more questions to come!

Look at Riverside Rabbitry, you will get GREAT rabbits there! Plus they are by you.
wink.png

Last edited:
ok i wanna warn first that bunnies are not like cats or dogs and most bunnies are very moody after they reach sexual maturity
one day they are as sweet and loving as con be the next day that hate you or one day they ignore you and then all of a sudden they act like htey have no idea who or what you are and become frightend. when i wanted a bunny soo badly i got my girl nilla a holland lop mix who was soo cuddly and loving and adored being held and then once she reached sexual maturity she was moody every day was differant with her. and when i joined a rabbit forum www.fuzzy-rabbit.com i found out that most all bunnies were like that and it was very normal unless you get them spayed or neuterd.
if you want a great helpful website dedicated to bunny ownership go there they are the nicest group pf people.

from what ive always heard is that holland lops where bred to be house pets so are very easily tamed which was why i chose a holland for my first bunny
but personally i think any bunny that has been raised and handled can maked good pets like i knew someone who had a flemish giant that was as sweet as sweet could be just a darling! while another flemmish i met at a pet store was so nervous hated being touched becuase the pet store owner said a women brought him in where he had been living outdoors and she never paid attention to him.

Quote:
I agree, I think the mini rexes are my faves. Even without much handling they are still very gentle and adore attention!
love.gif

ETA: I also agree with the poster above me about any breed being a good choice. Mainly, the more they are used to being messed with, the more tame they will be. There are breeds that are generally chosen as 'pets' but any rabbit can be a pet. You need to go to the ARBC web page and check out all the different breeds: Sizes, colors, temperament, care, etc., etc. and see which breed YOU like.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the helpful information! It was what I was looking for so thanks!!! I will be looking into it more someday and hopefully get a bunny!!!
smile.png

Ok I asked if there are small children in the house, because a larger breed is better for smaller kids. They tend to NOT pick them up as much. Rabbits can break their backs fairly easily when they buck too hard, and when a small child picks up a mini rex or holland lop and is not gentle, well, that could happen.

Back
Top Bottom