I wanna get a bunny! Questions...

I guess punk-a-doodle kind of described what I meant to ask by "loud." I know they won't be as loud or anywhere near close to loud as a parrot, at least when they are happy. If they are generally quiet then I will definitely get one. I just don't know if I should get a doe or buck. I would need to spay/neuter it though.

Rabbits vaguely remind me of rats in that females tend to be more spunky and active, and males are more cuddly, chill, and relaxed. In rabbits though, the females can sometimes be seriously moody, especially if not spayed. I've heard of the occational aggressive male, but every buck I've owned has been super sweet, neutered or not.

Thanks, punk-a-doodle. I am now leaning more towards a buck...How is the ease of care? I decided that I would keep it indoors and try litter training. I've been busy researching about caring for rabbits and angoras in particular but I like that I can go to this forum and ask questions.

Ease of care differs with the breed. Long-haired rabbits such as angoras take more care. They do often end up in shelters and rescues because this can overwhelm a first time rabbit owner. I would only get one if you are surely sure that you are comfortable clipping the coat yourself (if you get one, lemme know if you need any tips on that) or can afford to get it clipped by a groomer or vet fairly often. You can also let it grow out and blow out (in the breeds that blow their coats), but the brushing then comes into play. Matting is one problem that improper coat care can cause. The other thing that is usually recommended with long-haired breeds is to feed a bit of papaya (I think pinapple is another option, but I always went with papaya because my angora looooved it) to help prevent wool block.

Some rabbit breeds are more prone to sore hocks, which can be a pain to deal with. This can either be due to their size, or because it is something like the rex breed that has fine fur that doesn't protect against friction as much. I've kept mine either on solid bottom cages with bedding in the entire cage, or on solid bottom cages with bedding only inside the litter box if trained for that, and have not yet *knock on wood* had a problem with sore hocks. Wire bottom cages are the easiest to clean if your rabbit doesn't do well with litter box training, but some people prefer not to house rabbits on them due to percieved comfort issues or increase in sore hocks or legs twisted in the wire. I haven't used them, so I can't really add personal input on them.

There are so many cool breeds out there to choose from, so take your time and have fun looking! There are also some really nice rabbits that come through the rescues, sometimes from breeders (either getting rid of stock or have a fault seems to be the most common reasons), and will sometimes have ear tattoos. Some breeds are active and sporty, some are more calm and cuddly in general.

Ease of care...I'm not sure. For me, I'd say they are on the same level as my cats in care needs due to the way I keep them. I do know that I see a lot of them go through the shelters, so I guess that might not be too far off in comparison of care for an inside rabbit. Some people get overwhelmed with them, or find they weren't what they were expecting. I find looking at youtube videos of people with the various breeds can help kind of see what the general attitude will be like if going for a purebred bun. A lot of people seem to not like rabbits because of the cost and time involved with keeping a steady supply of (timothy usually) hay for them. The other complaint I hear a lot is that they do chew, so you have to rabbit proof the house. I hope that helps.

This is so much help and good advice. I actually have been considering an angora because I do want to use its wool to make yarn (someday). I have watched videos on people plucking or shearing their angoras and reading that it takes an hour a day or so to care for one. I am considering either an English or a French so that I can pluck its wool rather than shear or cut it. I do like to brush my dog's fur - her coat is so thick and parts of it are kind of long, so we did have to shave her this summer - I bet I could also make a sweater out of her fur on the brush
lol.png

I am still reading and researching as much as I can. I know I won't get one until the beginning of next year sometime, so I have plenty of time to make a good decision. Thanks for the great info
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
That's awesome! Had a saved bag of clipped and plucked wool from my E angora to try spinning with, but it got lost in the move. Whoever found it probably thought tribbles were attacking.
th.gif
. He was a lovely little fawn with gorgeous wheaton wool. I hear some like white angoras due to the ease of dying lighter fiber. I think going for a breed that blows the coat is an excellent idea. You can still clip it if in a hurry, but can also get the plucked wool that brings in more money if selling. Sounds like you have done your research, and will make a wonderful rabbit owner.
thumbsup.gif

I have heard some say French angoras can be a bit more testy and moody than English, but have barely seen them myself, so haven't formed a personal opinion on them. Can say that my E angora was every bit as playful and sweet as the breed is supposed to be. He had the personality of a puppy, but as much as he liked to play, he would quietly sit on my lap for time it took (took me a long time, I'm slow) to pluck or clip him. I also like the fuller furnishings of the E angoras. Though, Debbie has some truly gorgeous French angoras that seriously make me want to try them out!

Unfortunately I only know of two people who are selling angoras close enough for me to get them. One lives in San Diego and one is Debi, who lives about an hour or so from me. The lady from San Diego breeds English Angoras, and sells them in the lower $100s, which is a little pricey for me. BUT, I like the full fuzziness of the English (I want a blue eyed white if that is possible, but they are so rare...); the downside is that their full fuzziness means more grooming time and more care is needed. So I have to weigh the pros and cons of the English vs. the French. I wouldn't have to drive 3 hours to get the French though!

Quote:
No you sure wouldn't and we have 12 week olds available now. You will get more wool from a french. English tend to be quite a bit smaller, about 6 lbs, where a french is around 10 lbs.

I am seriously thinking about the French
smile.png

I will have to wait til next year though, because I am going away for a week or two at the end of December, and I'm sure I won't find someone to care for him at that time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom