I want eggs too!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amcstay, Feb 9, 2009.

1. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    So I know my little hens are only 17 weeks old and may not start laying for a while, but man do I want eggs! I have an Ancona and a Red Sex link who is HUGE. The are good girls and eat their food, forage, and occasionally try to bully me into letting them in the house, but they really need to start laying now. I am getting tired of waiting [​IMG] [​IMG] pout pout:( [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Be glad you don't have BBS Orps- you'd have to wait for 8 months!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I waited more than 9 months for my last brahma to start laying. [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Luckily my chickens are as impatient as me. [​IMG] I found an EE egg when they were only 4months old in the dead of winter. All my bantams also started laying dec-jan and I'm getting about 6 bantam and 2 EE eggs daily. Just waiting on my dark brown layer mixes to start.

5. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I'm just impatient. I know it could be worse, but it probably doesn't help that DH yells "Lay an egg!" every time he sees the girls. [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    and occasionally try to bully me into letting them in the house,

[​IMG] [​IMG] That would be hilarious to see!

Anyway, your red sex link will lay first I bet. Mine laid weeks before the others. My EE's and cochin took the longest. My sex link laid about 20 weeks. Watch for the squatting and you can almost bet that a week later you will have eggs! They get REAL friendly when they are close to laying. Even my super shy ones allowed me to pet them (while squatting). [​IMG]

7. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I feel your pain. My sexlinks are 15 weeks old tomorrow.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

With the days lengthening, those of you with red sex links will have your eggs shortly![​IMG]

9. Pink Delphinium

Pink Delphinium Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    You've got good egg-laying breeds, but it's really too soon for them to be laying. The earliest they're likely to lay is 5 months, and it's more likely to be 6 months. Hang in there...[​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Oh, her I thought you had bought yourself an incubator and I was all getting ready to send you some eggs... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by