I want eggs too!

amcstay

Songster
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
Austin, Texas
So I know my little hens are only 17 weeks old and may not start laying for a while, but man do I want eggs! I have an Ancona and a Red Sex link who is HUGE. The are good girls and eat their food, forage, and occasionally try to bully me into letting them in the house, but they really need to start laying now. I am getting tired of waiting
sad.png
sad.png
pout pout:(
sad.png

Luckily my chickens are as impatient as me.
tongue.png
I found an EE egg when they were only 4months old in the dead of winter. All my bantams also started laying dec-jan and I'm getting about 6 bantam and 2 EE eggs daily. Just waiting on my dark brown layer mixes to start.

I'm just impatient. I know it could be worse, but it probably doesn't help that DH yells "Lay an egg!" every time he sees the girls.
big_smile.png

and occasionally try to bully me into letting them in the house,

lau.gif
gig.gif
That would be hilarious to see!

Anyway, your red sex link will lay first I bet. Mine laid weeks before the others. My EE's and cochin took the longest. My sex link laid about 20 weeks. Watch for the squatting and you can almost bet that a week later you will have eggs! They get REAL friendly when they are close to laying. Even my super shy ones allowed me to pet them (while squatting).
lau.gif

You've got good egg-laying breeds, but it's really too soon for them to be laying. The earliest they're likely to lay is 5 months, and it's more likely to be 6 months. Hang in there...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom