I want that nest.

Mystery solved:
This is a surprise, I just caught the Maran getting off the nest and there was an egg, as I said earlier she stopped laying just over a month ago now she has started again.
Also last time her eggs were slightly bigger and dark brown, now they are smaller a light brown.

I was wondering about the squeezing in to one nest business, would it work if instead of two nests, just have one big one enough to to fit a couple of birds in with a bit of room, or do they prefer the separation idea instead?

I was wondering about the squeezing in to one nest business, would it work if instead of two nests, just have one big one enough to to fit a couple of birds in with a bit of room, or do they prefer the separation idea instead?
It might...called a 'community nest' if you want to do some searching.
I'd just leave things as is....you have 2 identical nests with fake eggs right next to each other? Any changes may throw a spanner in the machinery, just let them figure it out.
You can manipulate them somewhat, but micromanaging can just screw things up.

Hi aart, they are not really identical nests, I use cardboard boxes from the supermarket, the one the regular layer goes in is the one that has been in the coop for a while, I added another but it is a similar size but obviously not the main one, that could be the reason.

I saw the Maran in the second nest I added, but she must have gone in the regular one because the straw was scattered about, so it looks like she decided on the new one.
You are probably right in this case and I'll leave things as they are.

I'm planning on making a new nesting box thing for when springtime arrives.
It's an old chest of drawers, the drawers have gone so it's just the frame so to speak, I'm going to put maybe 3 nest boxes inside then put a waterproof cover on it to keep the wood dry.

It's either that or change the coop around a bit, the roost is the full length of the coop 6 foot long but I only have five hens and they tend to cuddle up and only use about half of that.
So I could cut it down in size and put it across instead of longways which is 4 foot,
Then I can put the 3 wooden nest boxes I already have and put them longways.

In fact I might do it sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't cut down the 6' roost.
How big is the chest framing...
....big enough for nests to be ~12x12x12"(31x31x31cm)?
Got pics?

I haven't really measured it, I'm just guessing, I could put the wooden nest boxes in the coop now on the opposite wall, it's just me being lazy because I like to pop my head in and see in the nest/s if I put it on the opposite wall I will have to walk in and it might disturb any that in there.

This is the wooden nest box I already have, I took the top bar of to make more room, hence the arrow.

Last edited:
nest box.jpg

Back
Top Bottom