I want to ask a question that has already been asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I hope that's the case. The last few new threads I've looked at with an "I don't know" answer had the response posted within a couple of minutes of the original post. No need to "bump" that soon.

On a side track. I like to observe human behavior and interaction. Some observations:

The internet is anonymous to a large degree. We say things and say things in a manner we wouldn't normally say them because we can get away with it with no great repercussion to ourselves.

There are many folks out in internetland that need positive reinforcement. They seek that reinforcement by "helping" others even if their "help" has no meaning other than to say "I feel your pain" or "I would like to help you but I can't." Others look for confirmation of their thoughts or actions. Others enable. Others are dependent on others.

Some folks like to feed their egos.

Sometimes you might open a thread and say to yourself, "I just opened this thread, I can't help, but to justify "wasting" my time I'll say something."

And so much more. I am probably guilty of these things myself to some degree.

These are general comments not directed at any particular person, especially Wildsky.

Last edited:
I usually don't bump unless I see something in 'Show Unanswered Posts' that warrants attention and I don't have the answer. I don't do it unless it has been several hours since the OP.

I started a very similiar thread several months back. It ended in disaster.
Maybe the BYC culture has advanced since then letting us have this
intellegent, and sometimes sarcarstic, discourse.

If it does go bad just blame Wildsky.

Quote:
smack.gif

tongue2.gif

Quote:
I want to comment on this, because I've decided that this type of response to postings is actually what makes BYC Forum great. Although I understand what you are saying, dj, I think the behavior you're pointing out is what is called "unconditional caring" or "active listening". Actually listening and empathizing with another human being, even on the Internet, is a really great trait, and IMO one we could use a lot more of it the world in general. So many people think mostly about themselves and expressing "I feel your pain" can be a great interchange for the giver as well as the receiver. I agree that if it's like 500 responses in a row it's a bit heavyhanded, but this would be a dull, serious, unsocial, unpopulated forum if we just gave technical responses to each other without the empathic listening/caring part of it. All my humble opinion only...

Last edited:
Quote:
I want to comment on this, because I've decided that this type of response to postings is actually what makes BYC Forum great. Although I understand what you are saying, dj, I think the behavior you're pointing out is what is called "unconditional caring" or "active listening". Actually listening and empathizing with another human being, even on the Internet, is a really great trait, and IMO one we could use a lot more of it the world in general. So many people think mostly about themselves and expressing "I feel your pain" can be a great interchange for the giver as well as the receiver. I agree that if it's like 500 responses in a row it's a bit heavyhanded, but this would be a dull, serious, unsocial, unpopulated forum if we just gave technical responses to each other without the empathic listening/caring part of it. All my humble opinion only...

I don't disagree.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom