I was told to ask advice about a chick i made a post about.

NikolasGuy1234

Chirping
Aug 8, 2017
  1. I was told to post this here to ask for advice about the chick i am talking about. Sorry i didnt retype it. Im just a bit busy

2. To say the least, i am content. Very please with myself. And the poor chick who tougheded it out with me.

So yesterday, i was doing my daily feedings of my flock. And out of nowhere, my sweetest hen (an isa brown) attacked my last surviving silkie chick. Shes about 8weeks old. She grabbed the chick by the neck and kicked in the back. Which as you can guess, was not good. It actually dislocated the chicks neck. I started freaking out as this chick was flopping around and eventually gasping for air in my hands. I called my friend to ask what i should do. And we are both young. 16 years old to pinpoint, so we were newer. He said to just kill her. And i had a feeling he would say that. But then he also said maybe if i gave it a bit longer she might survive. So i did. But she would not have survived as was. She would have trouble breathing and then suffocate as she already was. So for 10 minutes i lightly manuvered and pushed her neck back together. I eventually gave up and layed her down with her neck still. Now i checked up again today. And she was moving her neck. Like she had no issues. I picked her up and moved her wings and leg a bit and heard hear a bit of crunching. So she also has some broken bones. But she is standing and eating and drinking fine. I do not honestly know if i am the reason she can move her neck again (i'd like to believe that though :D) but i did learn to never give up on a dying chick or chicken. Then still might have fight left in em! I will be isolating that chick until she can walk properly again. It will take some time.

I would most definitely keep that silkie away from the other chickens! I also have one surviving silkie that kept getting attacked, so we made her, her own coop with a run as what we like to call the "retirement home" since she is 5 years old and just wants to be spoiled! XD

Agree. House hennie it would be for me! Also, you have such a good heart. :hugs I would do the exact same thing; try my best for her before even 'going there' regarding putting her down. There seem to be two main schools of thought around here. Some will do anything and everything to assist a special needs chook, and then there is the more pragmatic group who I affectionately call our 'When in doubt cull it!' posse. YAY for saving her thus far! Please keep us updated on everything!

I don't know if i could keep her inside or isolated all alone. I would eventually have to put them together eventually. They had already together for about 2 weeks with no previous bad happenings

Back
Top Bottom