IA here

Boy - all of you sound busy. I liked the pictuers, I would let princes in also if she looked at me that way.

I butcher my chickens and would be glad to help any one get started. the smaller they are the easier it is. I have health problems. I can only do 2 at a time. If I were able, I would butcher them for you.

I put 19 eggs in the bater this morning. I am kepping a close eye on them! My Grandson keeps me reminded to check on them.

Dottie the chick that Stephanie gave me is still doing good, She stays with the yong lt. brahmas.

I wish I could go to the IA fair, maybe. I will keep my fingers crossed.. lisa

I have a feeling that I might slaughter the Ameraucanas, They are all doing some serious chest bumping now. I was thinking about just giving them away but I have fed them this long, now they need to feed me. I just can't look them in the eye and kill them. The EE's especially have such intelligent eyes (for a chicken).

My hubby has slaughtered some in the past but doesn't want to do it again.

I'll just keep growing them out for now.

Glad to hear Dottie is doing good. She is a good girl and I felt she would have a good home with you
smile.png

We just slaughtered 2 roosters and a Muscovey on Sunday. We just cut the breasts out of the roo's to use for stir fry. The duck we are going to smoke on Saturday, then take it to a friend's house. It will go good with beer.
big_smile.png

I'm hatching out chicks from my stock right not to keep for replacement breeding stock. I have a bunch of new bloodlines to integrate into my flocks for next year that I'm really excited about!!!

We may start slaughtering a few of ours this coming weekend. This will be a first for us. I just know that I am going to be glad to get the stinky birds out of my girls coop. We will build something different for them for the next go round.

At this point in time we are planning on going to State Fair in the open class but my girls... OMG! They are so rough looking! The heat has really caused them to look well... pretty rough around the edges! And some wheezing with the high humidity. Hope I don't have to take them to an Arizona sanitariaum for some dry air therapy! Some of the pullets NewHampshire, Delaware etc, will be close to POL. And of course when I let them out they fight. My Buckeye hens have chunks of feathers pulled out around their faces poor things. Maybe if I can find some of the Ron Popeil spay on hair?
wink.png
Or do the judges at this time of year take that into consideration.

Anyone got a sure fire way to get their plumage back in shape in short order? Short of day spa treatments?

Also, after being out of work since the end of January, received one job offer yesterday and have an interview tomorrow morning. Nothing for a long dry spell then BLAM two in one day! It could put a damper in our fair plans. But gotta do whatcha gotta do.

But isn't Mrs. Chicken off for the summer...

I had no idea that you had been out of work! Good luck to you with the offer/interview.

BTW - how is that puppy you got at the Waverly swap?

I have a couple of hens that are a little rough around the edges from being broody and then I have what we call the "chemo chicken"

She is a naked neck black frizzle cochin/silkie. She normally has an awsome afro and a full round body of curly feathers.

I will capture a picture of her later so that you can think your chickens look wonderful...

I've had the same problems myself. I'm adding Merrick's Blue Ribbon electrolyte packs to their water daily, hopefully that helps. It sure helps chicks thrive. Must be the acidophylis in it. I'll let you know if I see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom