IA here

I am getting a handle on the candleing. I did have a problem with the temp in the bator today. The digital said it had gotten as low as 95 and it was 97 when I got home from work. So I did turn it up a little and put in 1 of the little red plugs. It is back up to 100 right now. This cooler weather came today and I wasn't home to watch it real close. I hope they are ok. There is definately development in some of them.

Need help finding a few things.I am looking for adult Red Golden and Lady Amhurst pheasants either pairs or just a male of each.also looking for Bobwhite chicks and Ringneck pheasant chicks.would like to find them close to nw Iowa if not i will look at other parts of the state or other states for chicks.i have found the bobwhites and pheasants out of state but most are asking way to much for chicks plus the shipping on top of it.i would get chicks out of state and pay the postage if they had decent prices on them.don't want to get the adults out of state because of the shipping on adult birds.looking for around 50-100 bobwhites and 25-50 ringnecks? Thanks!

COONRIVER~
I'm new here and my chicks won't be here for a couple of weeks yet so I'm in no place to act like I know what I'm talking about, but I ordered my chicks form Murray McMurray hatchery because they are based in Webster City, IA. I wanted to keep it in state...though they do have hatcheries in other states. I would assume since I'm in Iowa they'd all be coming from the Iowa hatchery. They have juvenile Red Goldens but are sold out of the Lady Amherst. Bobwhites require a 100min. purchase and Ringnecks are sold in increments of 30. Don't know if they are "a good price", but Murray McMurray, from what I've experienced so far, really has their stuff together.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Quote:
My husband is a pheasant hunter and he has said he wouldn't mind getting a bunch to raise/let loose in our pasture...NOT to hunt, just to help grow the population here. Our area of the state has next to no birds!

I just want them to have,just like chickens.i stopped raising them about 6 years ago and want to get back into them.i still have all my flight netting to go over the pens.i sold them frozen to other people around the country for taxidermy and would get $25 per pheasant and $8 for quail.it was good money but alot of work keeping them from getting there feathers messed up.don't think i will do it again.just want them to have in the pens.MM's high on there prices and most all there birds come from the south.We are going to Texas the middle of June and trying to find some that i can maybe stop if not to far out of the way on the way home and pick some up.

Thanks! I always wondered. I kind of figured they would be released to hunt. I love hearing the wild ones call in the morning outside my bedroom - I used to call them my roosters before I had real ones
big_smile.png

Well I don't know if I am considered day 7 or day 8 or some other day. I set my eggs last Friday morning. Anyway, I candled a little bit ago and took 2 of them out. I cracked them open and I know one for sure wasn't fertile and the other one wasn't develping that I could see. The other eggs, just not for sure on some of them yet so I left them in there.

Quote:
If you set before noon I think you count that as your first day, if you set in the afternoon you don't start counting until the next day.

I have 4 Iowa Blue eggs developing! I hope they are all hens!!

Back
Top Bottom