IA here

Pics
glad to hear you are ok -- did you see some of the news coverage (kcrg.com) from Fayette county? there is one field that looks like you took a mower and cut the field - nothing left but stalks
sad.png

I also heard from the co-op in Jesup that there was hail in the ditches by Strawberry Point that looked like a heavy snowfall.

the storms missed us for the most part - just a flooded basement and some wet rabbits -- the window wasn't shut completely, oops...

Clay or Flash point...

I am not getting much power on my netting, I wonder if you can help trouble shoot if you are online today. I'll call Premiere Monday.

I set up in short grass (mower height 2-3 inches) Had the charger on for a day in a half (they suggest 3, so that may be my problem). They ship a 3 foot galvanized ground rod. They also send along a voltage tester.

If I connect the tester directly to the charger, I get full strength. If I connect the energizer to the fence clip and the ground rod, and then use the meter probe in the ground and touch the hot horizontals. I get nothing on the meter. A

If I just set the ground (earth) clip on the grass, I get some voltage on the meter and a click click click on the charger with the impulses, if I connect to the ground rod again. Nothing.

I looked at all my poles to be sure I didn't have the bottom hot wire of the netting under a spike and I don't.

Maybe I should return this and get the AC powered one? OR double up - triple up the ground rods?

Any thoughts? (And thanks....

I have sandy soil at my place. I need 2 ground rods. Try wetting the ground around your ground rod and see if that helps. If it does, then you'll need another ground rod.

Quote:

Hi all, here's an update on my poultry netting. The folks at Premiere were very helpful and we've narrowed it down to one problem (which became two). We *think* the problem is in the wiring harness connection to the ground rod...so they are shipping a new wiring harness....but also, as I was testing, the ground probe on the tester they shipped broke free of the wire...so I may also have some faulty test readings.

The customer service reps (I spoke with two) assured me the Solar charger was powerful enough for my set up (one roll of the 164" netting)

I'll update tomorrow afternoon after the replacements arrive....(nervously pacing because chicks may arrive as soon as Wednesday)

Glad it's getting figured out. Electric fencing can be frustrating.

I checked out your blog site. I like it.

And the duck egg story, I had the same thing happen with a Welsummer chicken egg.

Okay is anyone going to the Burlington swap August 9th? I have to direct traffic at it. I'll be one of the people in an orange vest. Maybe I will put BYC on my back. Please say Hi to me if you see me.

Last edited:
today is Steve's 18th birthday and his favorite rooster had a birthday surprise for him. they don't usually come up to the front steps in the morning but today, Mikey stood on the step and crowed and crowed and crowed... I went out to see what the "problem" was and he came into the porch and crowed again. Steve came out and Mikey just looked at him, and let Steve pick him up. He brought all the hens and young birds to the steps to say happy birthday
smile.png

well - that's what I told Steve, Steve on the other hand told me that when he leaves for work, he feeds them a handful of dog food and they have been waiting for him on the sidewalk in the morning lately...
this morning he was going to an FFA event and was planning on leaving at 8:00, he usually leaves for work at 7:30 - so he was late and the birds were letting him know it....

I like the birthday explanation better
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom