IA here

Quote:
I believe I did. If anyone is looking for Iowa Blue hens and roos I'll share some of my adult flock. I've released the breeders to the big flock so I'm not hatching for a while. I have a bunch of babies growing up and I think I'll select from them for my next breeding flock. I could also help anyone looking for young EE pullets just short of laying. With the price of feed what it is, what's the going rate for layers right now?

Quote:
Thank-you... this has been quite a 24 hours for someone who doesn't have much incubating experience. First I just have a small 4" personal fan sitting in the bator this go round, so I had to turn it off when the ducks started moving around because they could stick their beak in it. So I had to bring the incubator back up to temp. Then I raised my humidity for a little bit to help them. I had helped them some out of their shells but I still needed the humidity in there. Now I still have this one in there yet today. I really hope to have him out later so I can clean it up and get my fan going and incubator stable again because I am going to be working tomorrow. This has been quite an education.

Here are some pics of my last 24 hours.....

This is when I first got the eggs out of the nest. She had her nest in a shed area that I had to disassemble to get to them. We could hear this one chirping. So my first thought was to put bedding in something with a heat lamp fast. It wasn't long and I decided to go to the incubator with them. I went through the remainded of the eggs and only kept 2 others.

56696_dsc08931.jpg
[/img]

The next 2 pics are of the 1 that is still in the incubabtor. It is moving around a lot today. Last night it was still absorbing the yolk sac. I figure a few more hours in the bator and then maybe I can move him out to a box in the brooder and then with the others.

56696_dsc08932.jpg
[/img]

56696_dsc08933.jpg
[/img]

The next picture is the 2 that I had in the incubator and taken to the brooder already. The darker one of the 2 is the one you saw hatched in the pan above.

56696_dsc08934.jpg

This is the one in the pan.
56696_dsc08939.jpg
[/img]
This is the 2nd one from the incubator.
56696_dsc08937.jpg
[/img]

This is a chocolate color I think... Mom hatched this one but I love it. I may keep this one and hope it is a female.
56696_dsc08935.jpg

56696_dsc08936.jpg

Quote:
Idk, I had seen bloody poo in the pen before and we have Corid ordered..not much we can do, TSC doesn't have it in stock
hmm.png
it had only been a day since I saw it, and I didn't know for sure because I found 2 eggs in there about a week ago and thought maybe one just had a bit of trouble passing and I ichecked most of their behinds but didn't see anything. Jerrit mentioned feed yesterday so I mixed in layer feed. We also got Apple Cider Vinegar yesterday to use for them until the corid comes. Hope we don't lose anymore.

Hi everyone, haven't been on here for a long while. Hope everyone is doing well we have been busy on the farm with chicks and brooders. building cages to try and keep up with all the young ones. I do have some black wyandotte bantams and moderns in brown red and burchin chicks. For sale if anyone is intersted. They are from my sons fair birds.Some adults also cheap for anyone on Byc. I had to read about 10 pages on IA. forum to get cought up with all you Byc'ers
Thanks, Jason

Jason... have you been able to get into the big building yet? I still have one of those homemade wire cages from when I was there a few months ago. I can either UPS it back or, I will be coming through the area the end of July and might be able to drop it off.

Tira;
Thats too bad about your bird. Have they been wormed yet? This is also high season for mites and lice and such. With the rain, heat and humidity around here, I have been dusting the pens and birds alot! I thought I saw a bloody poo in the pen with the Key West chickens and started getting all excited until I realized it was a strawberry
roll.png

Trish;
I wanted you to know that the Lavendar or porcelain Maran is my wifes favorite bird. She has become her pet. Being a teacher Lora has the summer off so she spends alot of time caring for the chickens and that one has become her little companion. i think it will be a large fowl, shes got some gun boats on her! Sadly, the other chicks did not survive but I was able to pull this one through and she resides happily with the only Sussex we were able to hatch from our trio and another oddball bird, not sure of it;s heritage.

It's been a little hectic up here of late. My Mother-in-law, passed away very unexpectedly Saturday night, just minutes after leaving our home where we had a family gathering. It is fate or coincidence that Lora's youngest sister and her family were here for a visit from Maine so all three children and their families were here having a good time, it was a nice night. We have to remember that as we go through this period of sadness. Joy, if you read this, and have not been contacted by the 4-H folks yet, the "Poultry Plunge", will be rescheduled. Thats the day we are now having the private remembrance gathering at our home.

Kari, will you have any pullets that are distinctly blue egg-layers? I got 10 EE's from Cackle Hatchery, but their legs area all various shades of green, one with almost yellow legs, no slate legs. Does that mean they will lay green eggs? I want some blue egg-layers, prefer not light blue.

Quote:
Several of my EE hens with green legs lay blue eggs, so I really don't know what you'll get. That's why I love the EEs! It's always a surprise
big_smile.png
I hatched a bunch of Ameraucana/Welsummer chicks so I hope I get some pretty eggs out of those girls pretty soon! I also have several blue and black pullets that are out of pure Ameraucana hens but I don't know if I can promise they will be blue layers. They have the look of pure Ameraucanas - pea comb, slate legs solid blue/black color, but the father could be one of the EEs, though I do have pure AM roosters too. I got my Ameraucanas from FlashPointFarm and they all lay lovely blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom