IAMS dog fooddddddd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberrichardsonn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
I feed my dog on iams and he is 100% alot better, with diahrrea and stuff, he doesnt have it anymore since going on it, but why is everyone saying it is such a bad food?

It's not bad food....it's just not a good food either. It's certainly a lot better than some dog food I have seen. It has a lot of grains and corn in it which is not good for dogs. I can buy a premium dog food here with no grains for the same price.

Iams is one of the foods that was allowed by the puppy kennels but then the formula changed for Iams and the kennel switched to royal "paininmy-" um royal canin- which I hate and its expensive...

Iams is a middle tier food, better then Ol'roy worse then Blue Buffalo- but leans towards the expensive side.

My dog is odd (greyhound) she does better on "Diamond Naturals Premium Maintenance" then some of the more expensive, but she's only been here since Feb.

If corn, in any form, is one of the first five ingredients it's junk IMO.
Having a dog that won't eat Taste of the Wild, we now feed Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice, raw chicken and beef and fresh eggs. My two german shepherds obvious health - energy, shiny coats and bright eyes, etc. - are a testament to the good food they eat.

The Diamond Naturals end up being cheaper to feed than the Iams, because the dogs eat less to get the same nurtrition.

Last edited:
It's not a personal insult to anyone to say that a certain food isn't a premium food. If that particular food works for your dog - great. I'm sure it works for a lot of dogs. But for a dog that is having digestive issues that seem to be related directly to its food, Iams is probably not what you want to be feeding that particular dog.

I think Iams low residue is one of the best foods for dogs with problem digestive tracts. Only draw back is it's a prescription food. My whole kennel has been on it for over 8 years.

Quote:
Agreed. And if what you can afford is not the high ranking foods you shouldn't feel bad. Better to feed a dog something than nothing at all.

Quote:
^ This. Corn is used as a filler and is poorly utilized by a dog's digestive system (heck, it is an awful source of nutrients for even a human!). Dogs are not cattle, they are primary carnivores (they can get nutrients from vegetable matter, which is why they are not obligate carnivores like cats, who cannot get nutrients from plant based sources).

I agree that Iams isn't great food; however, some folks just don't have the $ even for a brand like Iams; so, choose whatever works for you. I WILL add that if you switch to a premium feed (I feed Blue Buffalo), you WILL notice smaller waste piles, and you WILL be able to feed less of it - since it's got so much less filler in it, they simply don't need as much of it as with some foods.

Corn is often disguised on the label by calling it something else...such as maize. Dogs cannot digest corn. Putting sawdust in the food would have about as much nutritional value as corn does....it's simply a cheap filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom