Icelandic Chickens

Mary could you put something solid up against the fence so the dog can't see the chickens? The neighbor would probably have a fit, if you limited his freedom to harrass

Are there any smaller keepers interested in trading eggs? My Icies are from one breeder, and I'd like to add some different genetics to set up a "clan" (excellent information http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Clan+Mating.html by Harvey ussery)
Edited to add citation
smile.png
The clan/family breeding systems has been used by poultry breeders for many, many years with great success. It is a great system. I haven't been to Harvey's site in quite a while but have referred people there to check out his greenhouse set-up. I wasn't aware he had switched his flock to Icelandics, thanks for mentioning him.
Who did you get your current Icelandics from?

There is some great info on his site, I'm glad I found it! Ours are from Black walnut farm, I hatched 2, and the rest a friend hatched & decided she had too many chicks
1f609.png

Diva, the problem is that the dogs bark at everything, and if they see or hear us anywhere in our back yard, they go off. The one is super nasty and tries to climb the fence or grab me through it. It has killed smaller animals in neighbor's yards before and is supposed to be muzzled....... not really much I can do about it, except to move the run and coop, I think. The neighbors know it's that way, too. They stand on their back porch and call to it, then let it bark for a minute before bringing it in. So long as it stays out of my yard, I can tolerate it, but I really worry about my girls being stressed because of it.

It would sure stress me. Neighbors behind us leave a little yappy yorkie out late at night, it barks about everything and nothing. I can't believe they are so dense, we have coyotes everywhere. I'm afraid I'll be hearing the awful death screech one of this days. I've heard it before from rabbits, cats, etc. Makes my blood run cold.
he.gif

I agree - after a time the chickens will accept the racket as part of their day but, the dogs know they are there & it will egg them on to get loose and destroy them.

Back
Top Bottom