Icelandic Chickens

And what is the pattern on their heads showing by now .... male, female, both, all the same? I still can't get over it, that the males go broody.
lau.gif

So, Cheryl is gonna be on TV Monday!
woot.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=480675

That is an awesome flock Mary, keep those pics coming, we need them
droolin.gif

Isi has got to be one of my main heros,He the KING ! And Lukka the Queen !
love.gif

Long may they reign !!

Your emu pics sure got me wondering, fascinating characters, might be worth it to keep some in a bigger pen around the other pens, I am leaning very heavily towards large dog kennels for the chickens and the turkeys, could put that inside an emu pen, dont have any JRTs, but do have coyotes and an occasional stray dog. More food for thought, need another coffee
caf.gif

Chooks one of my grad school projects was a recirculating Brook Trout rearing system for brood stock, also did a small demo hatchery project for them, using 300 gallon rubber maid stock tanks for the brood stock and 100 gallon ones for fry. All of it fit in a 20' by 14' room, a back shed at Ohio State. I raised and maintained 35 breeders, and reared 150,000 fingerling Brookies in 3 years. Fun!

The outdoor projects I have done at home used 150 and 300 gallon stock tanks too, raised and bred bluegills and sunfish in them. My little coral reef only has 10 tanks in it in a recirculating system. It will keep the incubator room warm for the chick kids.

All of the above aside my preference is always for hardy self sustaining critters and the Icelandics are that for sure. A chicken that lived and survived in the time of Egils Saga has GOT to be a tough and hardy one. Whats not to love?? Living history alive in our chickens! A great world that we live in !

Long live Isi and Lukka !
thumbsup.gif

Mary............4th picture down, 2nd from the left - I want her!!! She wasn't in the pics you sent me last night. So pretty and a gorgeous crest. And whose the black one mooning us in the pic?
lol.png

Oooh, I can't wait to come pick them and bring them to their new home!

3rd pic down - while they all have gorgeous colors, me thinks they are boys.

I would soooooo take those last 3, but I'm afraid my husband would shoot me. What's not to love about huge, teal eggs and men that do all the work at child rearing?
gig.gif

I need another cup of coffee........I shot out of bed at 6:30 this morning to the sound of coyote's yipping. Haven't heard coyote's around her in YEARS. Luckily, they weren't on my property. The chickens got mighty quiet though with the yipping. They hadn't come out of the coops yet.

Kelly it's like I said yesterday on the phone, it's all those babies being born, baby DEER etc The family dynamics go nutz and the babies run around eating everything, even things they don't normally eat because they don't know any better.

Back
Top Bottom