Icelandic Chickens

Quote: BOTH!! When we incubate eggs, we set them........when a hen incubates them, she sits on them......and speaking of sitting on eggs.......when I went out to lock up tonight, I found two pullets still in nest boxes. One was my white Java Krystal, there was no brown egg layed today so I'm hoping she was just in there at the end of the day to lay an egg and it got dark. I moved her onto the low roost and she stayed there. The other was an Icelandic pullet, Doppa (7/13/11). I put her on the low roost near the nest box she was in but she high-tailed in up to the rafters.
he.gif
I CAN NOT have any broodies yet....Mary O, yes.....Kelly, yes.....Kathy, why not...but it's too cold here to be sitting on eggs.........I've been telling them since New Year's Day they have to wait until St. Patty's Day.....48 1/2 days and then they can sit!

Thanks speckledhen! When are you going to join the "Ice Side"? We'd love to have you!!

You know, if I was starting from scratch or had just a few chickens left, I think I definitely would do that. I would want only roosters of this type and I'd want them to be able to free range all day, most every day, not have to be penned as much as my separated groups are. They are such gorgeous birds, they really are, so unusual and varied. Some just remind us so much of our Silkie/Cochin/BR cross sisters, Kate, Tux and Olivia, who have all gone to that Great Roost in the Sky, with their little modified pouf on the head. I still check out the thread from time to time, though I know I've missed a ton of stuff.

Quote:
WOOO HOOO! How long before the broodies begin to sit?
tongue.png
(Hmmm. is it sit or is it set?)

Quote:
YUK ! ! I so hate snow! Get your boots on, and be careful you don't slip and slide out there!
Other Mary- We had the same thing here- Yesterday- Calves enjoying their first day out of the shed after I got the fencing done.
4045194464739_ORIG.jpg
Today-
1045243281866_ORIG.jpg

Good morning All !!

Mary you have some beautiful girls there, I do love the mottled ones !

Daron your boys look happy and content as they do their exploring.

I am enjoying a moderate winter here in MI , its really both warmer and less snow then usual, which is fine with me, night temps in the teens or single digits and day temps in the high 20s, I can handle that very nicely thank you.

All the talk about broodys and setting eggs has me looking at the calendar ! Sure wish that I could but 3 roosters in the cabin is aplenty.

I went down to the mailbox last eve, it was nice out, cool and crisp, the bit over half mile walk down and back was nice, mailers and other garbage mail but one from the VA clinic, saying that my blood tests were normal, high normal on the blood sugar but I can counter that with Omega 3, NOT metformin or other things I used in the past, best news is that my neuropathy can be stabilized now through any VA clinic in the country ! I had made that clear to them when I came here for treatment and they honestly answered that . SO now, where to be? That is the question, its stay here til breakup in Alaska, or go back to Mi, where some family is, and friends. A lot of serious thinking to do.

If, I go back to MI I could keep Isi and the SC leg feathered roo, at least if I mated them to Rosecombed hens. We shall see what will be, I am going to be weighing many things.

So thats whats happening in the snowed in hills and little mtns of this part of Wa.

Life is good and better with Icelandic Chickens !
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom