Ideal is having a special on "Ameraucana" Pullets

I loved the chicks I got from Ideal... very healthy when they arrive, and fast growers. Of course it may help that I live in Texas, so they aren't traveling for more than a day.

I have a bunch of different breeds running together, and I'm on my third generation of home-hatched birds. As a rule, if a hatched chick has green (or part green/part some other color) legs and/or muffs it lays green eggs. Some are a true green, some have a blue tint, and others are olive. But the colored-egg laying gene seems to be dominant.

What I haven't been able to determine is if the hen is passing on the dominant gene, or if the rooster is.

Kathy in Texas

Quote:
Teri was really good to me when I started to melt down with my first chick order which were ameraucanas/easter eggers or whatever you wish to call them.

What they were, were 30 healthy, lively chicks that have had no problems since their overnight arrival in Hawaii fromTexas.

I breed, show and sell orchids professionally. I know "show" quality from "hobbyist" quality plants and expect to pay proportionately more. Does anyone here really expect certified breed/show quality chicks for $1.75 each? You gets what you pays for and the good news is that at least with chickens you can eat your mistakes.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

can you hear me now? :

Okay, I read through this entire thread so far and my question is what is the difference from americaunas and aracaunas. I hace 4 of them that should be laying soon and a rooster. All of them are different colors but cackle hatchery sold them to me as americaunas telling me tat they didn't have the latter. Are these actually EE's?

Arucanas are rumpless/tailess and have a fatal gene that causes them to be quite rare.
Americaunas have muffs and ruffs, breed true, have tails and lay blue and green eggs. There are many color varieties.
Easter eggers are generally mutts, donʻt breed true, but are supposed to lay colored eggs which apparently is a dominant genetic feature, hence EEʻs the Next Generation!​

I just found out today from Rachel at Ideal that they are still honoring their deal on the Ameracauna/EE chicks until the 17th.

So those of you that missed your chance you still got one and in time to get chicks for Christmas.

I'm happy - I talked with Rachel today too. Gonna get more chickies - honeyyyyyy, time to build me another coop.........
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom