Ideal MG discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think this is pretty dumb...

Ideal is a Great Hatchery that sells quality birds.

I will always order from Ideal, and this just makes me want to even more.

They are the upstanding hatchery that LIKES to answer questions and be of help to customers.

THEY are the ones who are trying to clear up the confusion.

GO IDEAL!!
smile.png

Quote:
welll...Since you put it that way....
lol.png
I get it a little better now..

Still think hatcheries should be more open when people are buying from them though..
hide.gif

Quote:
RedHen, the customer should be aware of their own state laws and regulations for importing poultry and should research each hatchery accordingly. A good hatchery, like Ideal, is more than willing to answer inquires from customers.

Think of when you go to the farm store and they have all those wonderful chicks. Think of all the people from strange places that have touched those chicks. Now how many of those people unknowningly have MG+ birds of their own?

Quote:
Um... idk if this is directed at me, if so sorry
hide.gif
I was just wondering...

lol.png
No, it was directed at me. Dont worry Zahboo..
hugs.gif

Quote:
RedHen, the customer should be aware of their own state laws and regulations for importing poultry and should research each hatchery accordingly. A good hatchery, like Ideal, is more than willing to answer inquires from customers.

Think of when you go to the farm store and they have all those wonderful chicks. Think of all the people from strange places that have touched those chicks. Now how many of those people unknowningly have MG+ birds of their own?

Its not a problem for me anymore...I have been enlightened on the ways of hatcheries today...Thanks.

I think it would be up to the customers in what they want FROM their hatcheries and give them the feed backs they would consider.

It is the responsibility of the customer to ASK those questions, dont assume it they are lying or trying to hide the fact if they dont post it. A call or an email would suffice to get the answer and if that dont work, then you would need to call the higher authority. Don't let up until you get the answer that satisfy your needs and questions you have of their birds.

pips&peeps :

FYI:

Just going thru my NPIP Directory of Participants, the following hatcheries are MS and MG Free:

Hoover Hatchery - Iowa

Yep, folks that is it........

That's pretty funny, actually. When the Maryland NPIP official said if I was concerned about making sure a hatchery was certified clean for MG, I should ask the hatchery (she said it twice in our conversation), I thought I detected something in her voice. Perhaps a lilt of humor? As in, "Good luck with that."

Who said we government types can't have a sense of humor?​

I have an e-mail in front of me from Ideal Hatchery dated June 29th from Mikaela Fuchs answering an e-mail from a customer about the MG problem she had in her Cornish Cross chickens she had purchased from Ideal. The e-mail stated that if the bird tested positive,then we must have MG. Good luck in your search for another hatchery. Do they have documentation where their birds are tested for MG?

Quote:
we will have to just disagree on this... I would never think to have to ask a huge hatchery if they were disease free...
Maybe thats because i'm real stupid or something..
hu.gif

either way..we'll just have to disagree on this..
hugs.gif

Last edited:
There are an awful lot of absolutes being said here like "every flock has been exposed to MG" and "95% of flocks are MG positive". Those are opinions only.

Emotion and anger are running rampant in this thread, mostly in defense of Ideal.

I for one will do my best to never have MG in my flock again and there ARE several things that can be done to prevent it.

I do not see how a flock with MG can suffer no losses. I had approximately a 20% loss in my silkie flock and a 10% loss in may layer flocks thanks to MG, or complications there of. This was confirmed by necropsies and testing done at the CT State Pathology lab at UCONN.

Finally, I was and still am prepared to order chicks from Ideal. The chances of MG in chicks is extremely low, even from an MG+ flock. Brood those chicks for 30 days and the chances are reduced even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom