Ideal MG discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ideal chicks are thriving. I also think that if you posed the exact same question to all hatcheries their legal response would be identical or similar to Ideals. Be realistic like one post said. Can any hatchery be 100% certain they are clean. I appreciate Ideals honesty and I got excellent birds we are enjoying. I will make a point to order all of my chickens from them next year meat and hens because in case anyone has noticed the number of hatcheries declines yearly it is not growing and we need diversity.

Quote:
It was not a rumor...it was info that we needed to be aware of. I personally am not going to panic but at least now I know. Also, it was not slander because it was true. We gave Ideal the chance to respond and they did. What we do with that info is up to us. I thank the original OP for posting this info and giving us all the opportunity to learn a thing or two.

Ideal....thanks for responding. I think that many novice poultry owners (including myself) assume that since you are a major hatchery with a great reputation that you are disease free. You do not claim to be MG free and we should not assume anything. But at least now we have the info and can learn from it.

Agreed..i have learned alot today...
hmm.png
So i also thank them for standing up and responding to this thread. Now i know i wont order from hatcheries again..lesson learned.

So where are you going to order from now? The statistics are 95% of the flocks in the country are infected. It sounds as though this is something we can't avoid, as long as the birds are healthy and productive, worrying about MG seems to be a bit of a waste of energy.....

I applaud Ideal for participating in this thread and making it clear where they stand on the issue. I wonder if the other major hatcheries would be willing to be so honest?

pips&peeps :

FYI:

Just going thru my NPIP Directory of Participants, the following hatcheries are MS and MG Free:

Hoover Hatchery - Iowa

Yep, folks that is it........

So, is that hatchery doing a disservice to their customers then?
hu.gif
I'm still confused on this whole thing..​

Quote:
So, is that hatchery doing a disservice to their customers then?
hu.gif
I'm still confused on this whole thing..

If they sell healthy birds that have been exposed to MG, then when they join your flock which has mostly likely been exposed to MG also, nothing will happen. Opposed to if you have MG in your flock (whether you know it or not) then introduce MG free birds, they might get sick since they are not resistant.

Redhen, as much as you dont like the fact that MG is still prevalent in our flock, even you might buy eggs from us, there might be a chance that MG still be around or not. I dont think my birds would be very happy being in a sterile environment, they would not be doing eating bugs, digging holes and all the sunshine and fresh air.

I respect your decision on what you want out of your flock and I pray that most of us never will have a big MG impact like PurpleChicken did. Yes it is devastating to lose so many birds but the fact still lies, MG is here to stay. Lets hope our flock would remain happy and healthy for the rest of their lives and produce for a life time. One day, we will have a cure for all the diseases we have faced but not in our lifetime.

Quote:
Agreed..i have learned alot today...
hmm.png
So i also thank them for standing up and responding to this thread. Now i know i wont order from hatcheries again..lesson learned.

So where are you going to order from now? The statistics are 95% of the flocks in the country are infected. It sounds as though this is something we can't avoid, as long as the birds are healthy and productive, worrying about MG seems to be a bit of a waste of energy.....

I applaud Ideal for participating in this thread and making it clear where they stand on the issue. I wonder if the other major hatcheries would be willing to be so honest?

They would have to be honest if it was brought to the public..

Where am i going to order from?..I dont really know..but i do know it wont be from hatcheries again. Maybe my flock already has it..who knows...
hu.gif
But MY point was...They should tell their customers they are not MG clean..its the right thing to do. Because when i buy an animal from a company i am buying thinking that the animal is disease free....Maybe its just me..i dont really care..its my opinion on it.

Last edited:
Good morning all,

I am sorry we did not respond sooner as I was not following the post over the weekend. Mikaela responded early this morning and did a great job.

Mikaela is very knowledgable about poultry and poultry diseases. She graduated for Texas A&M in December with a Poultry Science degree.

It appears that cooler heads have prevailed in this thread and we appreciate that. I am going to answer some questions that have come up in the thread or clarify some things about the poultry industry as a whole.

The large hatcheries in the US are a very close group. Yes we are comptetitors but we are also customers of each other. We sell breeding stock to most of the large hatcheries as well as drop shipping for a lot of them throughout the year. They also ship for us during the year. This allows all of us to service our customers better and more quickly.

Ideal Poultry does maintain it's own breeder flock and grandparent flock. We do not hatch eggs brought in from outside sources other than Turkey eggs, French Guinea eggs and Ducks at Easter. All standard and bantam chickens are housed on one location in Pettibone, TX.

Let me give you an example of how we feel it would be detrimental to our customers if we were MG clean.

If you take your chickens to a county fair and you are clean but the bird in the next cage is not - guess which bird gets sick most of the time. Not the positive bird - it will be the negative bird.

We will be glad to answer any questions in regard to MG and how it affects your flock. I will continue to be on vacation this week however, Mikaela will be in the office all week and Monroe will be in through Wednesday. As some of you know Monroe is now 'retired' but works as hard as ever. He recently did experience a set back and is experiencing double vision. The doctors have been unable to determine the cause but he is continuing to undergo testing.

Please give us a call if you have ANY questions.

800-243-3257 ext 5411 (Mikaela)
ext 5561 (Monroe)
ext 5562 (Janet)

Teri Adcox
Vice President
Ideal Poultry

Quote:
It was not a rumor...

Well, technically, yes it was. Fattie said the MD ag dept said Ideal had MG running through its flocks. That department said no such thing. It just said some birds that had died from MG had come from Ideal. The fact they didn't know if Ideal had MG in its flocks was substantiated by their need to contact Texas health officials to check the status of Ideal.

Maryland made no such claim. Therefore, that makes the original posting by Fattie a rumor, and an inaccurate one at that. Fattie took a little bit of information and extrapolated it to reach certain conclusions, then posted those conclusions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom