Ideal Production Blacks?

aestus_lux

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Needmore, PA
Does anyone have these birds? I am planning crosses with my BBS ameraucanas for green egg production and have settled on barred rocks for green eggs, I am hoping to improve blue egg prodcution with some of these production blacks, since i'll be able to sex link the baby lik the BR's. I'm mainly looking for info about egg size, quality, and lay rate.

I am planning crosses with my BBS ameraucanas for green egg production and have settled on barred rocks for green eggs,

Your crossing the Barred Rocks to the 'BBS ameraucanas ' for green egg production? Right?
Becouse Barred Rocks lay a brown egg..

improve blue egg prodcution with some of these production blacks, since i'll be able to sex link the baby

If you cross Sex-Link to Sex-link or Sex-link to any other breed they are no longer a Sex-link.
It is a on time deal...

Chris​

Yep, I know, it would just help with immediate flock management numbers, knowing what I hatch when i hatch them. Yes, the BR's would be for green of course, and I'm hoping that the production blacks won't dilute the blue too much so that I can use them to make more productive blue egg laying hybrids

I had a couple Production Blacks, I think they're also called California Greys. They are superb layers of large white eggs, just like leghorns. I'll get more this year... I like that they're not white...
roll.png

Commercial white egg layers carry modifiers that will dilute your blue egg color to almost white. I would not use a production black because of that reason. This has been my experience in working with the blue/white egg shell alleles.

I have not ordered production black from Ideal but have thought about it in the past. Would make a good black sex linked cross with a black leghorn or as in our case a black/blue ameraucana. If you do the cross the birds will look like a leghorn and not an ameraucana. You will produce leghorns with muffs and beards with white skin. Females will have blue shanks and males will have white shanks.

Tim

Last edited:
Commercial white egg layers carry modifiers that will dilute your blue egg color to almost white. I would not use a production black because of that reason. This has been my experience in working with the blue/white egg shell alleles.

I have not ordered production black from Ideal but have thought about it in the past. Would make a good black sex linked cross with a black leghorn or as in our case a black/blue ameraucana. If you do the cross the birds will look like a leghorn and not an ameraucana. You will produce leghorns with muffs and beards with white skin. Females will have blue shanks and males will have white shanks.

Tim

Sir was planning on doing this exact same cross. Black Ameraucana x white leghorn, or production black in order to make a better blue egg layer. Since the commercial white egg layers will dilute the blue egg color so much, what would be your recommendation to use to accomplish my goal of producing a prolific large blue egg producing hen?

Back
Top Bottom