Ideas for changing my city's ordinances

KajDane

Hatching
Aug 9, 2023
Interested in others experiences in changing city ordinances to allow chickens. Seems like my city is lead by a bunch of wusses.

Join their select board. Start a petition. Get something on their ballet by voting time.

Depending on what what type of city you live in, moving would be the easiest option. If you do attempt to make a change, some cities that do allow chickens, have a limit of no more than six chickens and no roosters. That's a reasonable thing that some people might be in agreement to. Also, the coop should be a certain distance away from neighbors' property lines. There's other things, but those are the simplest things that might help change some people's minds.

Also, the coop should be a certain distance away from neighbors' property lines.
Agreed that it is reasonable - I would just caution to look closely at local lot sizes before presenting a setback. The big city here allows for up to 10 (I think, at least 6) hens, but the setback section of the code makes it very hard for the vast majority.

Back
Top Bottom