Ideas on a self-sustainable flock?

Pics
Thanks Mrs. K.

@KDOGG331 Those meat birds look awesome. Did you get any feedback in a PM? I like the sound of the Black ranger, but I bet I cant have them shipped north of the border.
:-(

Can anyone explain this to me?

" This bird’s black colour tends to absorb light, so we recommend brighter or more intense lighting for top egg production."

Why would the colour of feathers on a bird have anything to do with it? I thought all birds benefit from extra light in the winter, not just black birds.(?)

Can anyone explain this to me?

" This bird’s black colour tends to absorb light, so we recommend brighter or more intense lighting for top egg production."

Why would the colour of feathers on a bird have anything to do with it? I thought all birds benefit from extra light in the winter, not just black birds.(?)
Can you link where you read that?

Thanks Mrs. K.

@KDOGG331 Those meat birds look awesome. Did you get any feedback in a PM? I like the sound of the Black ranger, but I bet I cant have them shipped north of the border.
:-(

They definitely do! If I ever get meat birds I think I'll get a combination of the red/rainbow rangers, black rangers, and gray rangers/kosher kings. Maybe throw in a couple CX. And sadly I did not, no. :( maybe someone else will see this. And aww that stinks! There might be a way if you contact them and ask :)

Thanks.
Light might penetrate better on lighter colored birds.
The light that affects laying is absorbed thru the front of skull to trigger the pineal gland...so kinda makes sense.
Ah- ha- I thought it would reach the peneal gland thru the eyes! LOL

So I just found this, it was from Feather Face, my muffed bird. She started laying last week, and has laid me 5 eggs in 7 days, nice green ones, that have some brown flecks in them, and they have less sheen than my other EE (or AM or whatever they are). Hers are always more matte feeling, maybe even a bit grainy feeling?.... Today she laid this shell-less egg. I thought it was poop in the box at first, but then pulled out the straw because I had heard about this... but cant recal what I read. Is this just an "oops" or is their something I should do? (add something to her diet, worry, etc...)
Probably a fluke, but to be safe, make sure she has access to plenty of oyster shell free choice.

Back
Top Bottom