Ideas to convince my mother to let me use the power tools

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
So I'm getting tired of asking for things to get built, and then nothing gets done. I want to learn how to use the "big girl" tools so I can do my own projects the way I had them planned. I'll ask my stepfather, but he never follows my drawings, and does it in the most inconvenient way possible so that it only benefits him. He also locks "His" garage and hides the key so that no one can get in and use the tools.

My mom won't let me use electric tools (I'm 21 by the way, and took metal and wood shop in high school). Shes nervous I'm going to cut my fingers off. She wants me to hire a handyman do get the smallest little things done. I want to learn how to do it myself, but I have no help. My mom does not know how the use the tools, and my stepfather and I do not have a relationship, so I will not ask him.

I'm really just trying to convince her to get the key, and let me use the power tools on my own. I have been asking every summer for the past 2 years, but it is always no. I want to build a low waste hay feed fer the goats, and maybe redesign the inside for the chicken house if I have time. I'm just looking for some ideas to convince her.

Last edited:
do you have a job? if so, buy some basic power tools of your own. Sneaking the key (or having your mother sneak the key) is just going to cause problems. If nothing else, do it the old fashioned way with a handsaw and a hammer. :)

If you have a job then I would buy my own tools. You can find them at a great price on craigslist. That way they are yours and can't be taken from you. I hope you get to working soon on your projects. I love building my own things.

If you are 21 it is long past the time you had your own tools. Start with birthdays and Christmas. Make a list of what you want. If they give you cash, consider investing in a set of battery operated portable tools in a name brand so you can get replacement parts easily. You can get by with a saw, drill and many of the kits go on awesome sales around the holidays.
Ditto on the Craiglist ideas! Yardsales are another place to find hammers and screwdrivers. Check out estate auctions, especially those held during the week.
Oh... and start wndowshopping in Lowes and HomeDepot so you know what is available and how much it costs new.

I wouldn't be sneaking the key, or stealing it. I just need my mom to ask (niclely) for my stepfather to leave the garage open for me so I can work on some things. We have enough tools and lumber in the garage to build a small house (doubles and triples of almost ever power tool too). I do have a job, but just had to spend $800 on new tires, so buying my own is out of the question right now. I know eventually I'll get some, but I really wanted to get these project done this summer while I'm home from school.

As a tool owner who has been around other tool owners, the last thing you want to do is borrow somebody's tools. If you break it, you own it. Purchase your own tools, put your mark on them, and keep them in your own box. That way your tools will be ready when you need them. There is nothing worse then reaching in your tool box to find something missing because someone borrowed it.

Hand tools (muscle powered) are very cheap (saws/screwdrivers). In a pinch a 36" bow saw will do for just about anything you want to cut. If you want to get it done, you will.

As a tool owner who has been around other tool owners, the last thing you want to do is borrow somebody's tools.  If you break it, you own it.  Purchase your own tools, put your mark on them, and keep them in your own box.  That way your tools will be ready when you need them.  There is nothing worse then reaching in your tool box to find something missing because someone borrowed it.]

x2 . I have my own, always have. My ex-H used to buy me the tools I wanted as gifts (birthday, christmas) - he wouldn't use them, but I needed them as a homebuilding superintendent. My DH now is a contractor. It is much easier to have our own tools. If one of us breaks one, no blame on the other. If we borrow one, we make sure we give it back. We get 'permission' to borrow it, and make sure we tell each other when we return it. You can get inexpensive tools at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Ollie's (in our area) - if you only need them occasionally, don't spend a lot. If it's something you'll use a lot, spend a bit more, or shop yard sales.

If you took shop, then you should already have some basic saftey under your belt. If you end up buying tools, may I suggest that you buy tools meant for professionals. There's nothing more annoying or dangerous than a skilsaw that's designed for amatuers, with all kinds of saftey buttons to push before you can activate the trigger.

Most high quality battery operated drills can be set to start slipping if too much torque is applied, meaning that you won't break a wrist or thumb, if the drill hangs up.

Always wear saftey equipment.

Do not work with rotating tools with the sticky nitrile gloves. It is dangerous....I got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom