Idk the gender of one of my ducks

kyemay1019

Hatching
Oct 22, 2019
So! I hatched 2 ducks back in July so they are about 3 months old. My one, Link, has the curled tail and a male quack. My other one, Zelda, has no curled tail but sounds like a male so I am confused lol also Link tried to mate with Zelda. They both have about the same coloring and markings and theyret about the same age. Also they have made that whistle honk sound both of them and what I've watched from videos is that's what makes do. But I'm just not sure because Zelda doesn't have the curled tail. If someone can help me out that would be great lol

So the first one is Link and the second one is Zelda. You can see Link has the curled tail but Zelda doesn't. But they look a lot alike and they have the same quack.
IMG_20191023_152555.jpg
IMG_20191023_152557.jpg

I'm not an expert on ducks by a long shot... but it looks like Link is a little more vibrantly coloured on the wings and head? I remember all my young ducks sounding the same... Now one is finally getting a drake feather and the other is starting to sound more like a hen.

Do you know what breed they are?

I'm not an expert on ducks by a long shot... but it looks like Link is a little more vibrantly coloured on the wings and head? I remember all my young ducks sounding the same... Now one is finally getting a drake feather and the other is starting to sound more like a hen.

Do you know what breed they are?
I'm actually not 100% sure but I'm guessing they're Magpies. I know they're hybrid ducks. They just resemble the most like magpies.

They could be Magpie mixes...

I'm inclined to think that Zelda is a hen.
Thank you for the help! Do you think she just has to develop her quack more? They are only 3 months. I'm new to owning ducks but I have read a lot about everything. I thought their quacks would be developed by now but I could be wrong.

If they both make a raspy, frog-like noise they are both male. Most times drake curls come in at around 4 months, but it's not set in stone. Some drakes never get drake curls. A female at this age would be making the typical duck quack.

That's of course assuming they are Mallard based. You said they are hybrids, which would mean they are a mix of two different kinds of ducks, like a Mallard based and a Muscovy. They don't look like they have Muscovy in them. So I'm thinking you mean they are mixes of two different Mallard based breeds.

Back
Top Bottom