IDK what is growing on this cockerel's face.

werecat2083

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
One of our hens hatched out 9 chicks. We got seven pullets and two cockerels. We've been keeping them in a separate pen til they are big enough to try and integrate into the main flock. Anyway they all act like normal healthy chicks and are around 4 months old but haven't started clucking or crowing yet. But the other day we noticed that one of the cockerels has a set of growths on left side of his face. One part looks like its made of horn and the others look like tumors... I'm going to post the pic below. He shows no other signs of illness. I'd love to know what to do with him and if he's contagious? Any ideas at all will be helpful. Thanks in advance, Deborah.

Open his mouth and look for lesions. If there's bad odor, it's probably canker.
Another possibility is wet fowl pox which can cause lesions in the mouth as well. Fowl pox is mainly caused by mosquitos. Normally if mosquitos are the culprit, other birds would have dry and/or wet pox with wartlike nodules on combs and wattles. If no other birds are showing symptoms of fowl pox...I'd suspect canker.

Good idea, thanks. I doubt it could be fowl pox as yesterday was the first rain we've had in almost two months here so the mosquito population is really low right now. *sighs* now to catch the critter again. He's quite squirrelly.

Back
Top Bottom