If a chick is vacinnated, can it still be organic or free-range?

dbg99

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
I live in New Zealand and am trying to find organic red shavers. Every place that I talk to says they come vaccinated as the chicks get their vaccinations at 1 day old, does that mean i'm unable to have organic or free-range chickens and eggs or is it still possible? Thought I read somewhere that chickens are classified as organic from day 2 of their life on. Anybody have any experiences or thoughts on any of this? Would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

It's my understanding that yes, chickens can still be organic when vaccinated. Of course you need to check with certification in your region, but I know that you can get organic certification in the US with vaccines.

The term "free range" has nothing to do with organic classification, so you won't need to worry about that. Are you wanted to know about "certified" organic, or just organic? If you want to be certified you will need to check with the certification authority (I think it's either BioGro or Demeter in NZ?) as they will have guidelines about when, if at all, the vaccines are to be given.

If it's just that you want to have chickens/eggs that are organically grown and fed, then for me personally the vaccines won't interfere with that. I would still happily pay for organic chicken or eggs where the birds had received "newborn" vaccinations.

it depends on the certifying agency. some allow it, some do not. i personally don't think you should be allowed to call it organic if you've vaccinated. and as others have noted, free-range and organic are two different things.

Last edited:
This may help you, as it relates specifically to an organic poultry farm in Gisborne:

All in all, however, disease control is the biggest challenge for organic chicken production, Jake says. Organic rules allow him to vaccinate against two diseases—Marek’s disease and coccidiosis— and he’s currently using a liquid probiotic product containing lactobacillus and other beneficial bacteria, adding a small amount to the birds’ drinking water as well as misting it on to their feathers. He uses a pyrethrum mix in a PTO-driven blast sprayer for fly control in the composting area.

Excerpt taken from here: http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/features/0403/nz_chicks/index.shtml

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom