If I breed Silver Leghorn roo and Lohmann brown hen, will female chicks look like Silver leghorn hen? And what color will males be, same like dad?

Nenad said:
If I breed Silver Leghorn roo and Lohmann brown hen, will female chicks look like Silver leghorn hen? And what color will males be, same like dad?

I think the Lohmann brown hen is brown with a white tail and maybe some white markings in the rest of her feathers.

If that is so, you should get plenty of chicks (male and female) that are mostly white.
You might get some chicks that are white with black markings (similar to a Light Sussex or a Columbian Wyandotte appearance.)

All of these mostly-white chicks may look a bit yellowish, and may have some bits of brown or red visible in some places (so they may look like dirty white chickens.)

Cockerels will be golden. Pullets silver.

I doubt any will look like a Leghorn. Backcrossing those pullets to sire will get body type closer.

Cockerels will be golden. Pullets silver.

Why would they be sex linked?

They are not sexlinks. Males and females are both silver.

Some people use "golden" to refer to males that have one copy of the silver gene and one copy of the gold gene. They tend to be a yellowish shade of white, rather than being a nice clean white. It's the same color we call "silver" when we talk about sexlink males (like in Red Sexlinks or Golden Comets.)

Knowing whether they have one copy of the gold gene ("golden") matters if you want to use the males for breeding. Having them look yellowish instead of clean white matters if you care about the color.

But those "golden" males will look enough like their silver sisters that you can NOT sex them by the color of their down or feathers.

They are not sexlinks. Males and females are both silver.

Some people use "golden" to refer to males that have one copy of the silver gene and one copy of the gold gene. They tend to be a yellowish shade of white, rather than being a nice clean white. It's the same color we call "silver" when we talk about sexlink males (like in Red Sexlinks or Golden Comets.)

Knowing whether they have one copy of the gold gene ("golden") matters if you want to use the males for breeding. Having them look yellowish instead of clean white matters if you care about the color.

But those "golden" males will look enough like their silver sisters that you can NOT sex them by the color of their down or feathers.
So the females will look like silver leghrons with white on them being yellowish? Thanks

So the females will look like silver leghrons with white on them being yellowish? Thanks
I think they will have much more white and much less black than a Silver Leghorn female.

Yes, the white might be yellowish, but it might not be. I'm not positive about that.

If you don't like genetics terms, you can ignore the rest of this, but if you do like genetics here it is:

Daughters will get silver from the father, so they will be silver.
Sons will get silver (dominant) from the father and gold (recessive) from the mother, so they will be silver but may look a bit yellowish instead of clean white. (Some people call males like this "golden.")

The silver of both genders may look a bit yellowish or messy because the mother is gold, so she has genes that affect what shade of gold (where a nice silver chicken would have genes that remove every last trace of gold shades.)

If the hen has a white tail, she has the Dominant White gene that turns black into white. She will pass that to at least half of her chicks, who will show no black at all (possibly a few black flecks will slip through.) The hen might have one copy of the recessive gene that allows black, so half of her chicks might show black.

The mother has the Columbian gene, which restricts black to the tail & neck area. In her chicks, any that show black will have it at the tails & necks and not much elsewhere.

(On the mother, if she has a white tail, that is because Columbian restricts the black to the tail, and then Dominant White changes that black to white.)

Back
Top Bottom