If neighbor poisoned our birds, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hugs.gif

Atleast it sounds like things are starting to move forward. I definately feel for you. I have had a couple of bad bad neighbors who have felt they were above the law. It's living a nightmare. You are doing a fantastic job of staying calm. I truely believe the law is on your side. Hang in there.
hugs.gif

Just a quick update: I am so mad at local police I could scream. The investigator told DA it was only on neighbor's property and he had a right to do it. He is saying the chickens got on his property all the time. The "chickens" are not even on that side of the yard now other than a few roosters and they are all too big to fit through the fence. We have friends who are over frequently and my parents recently housesat for 4 days and everyone knows there has not been a bird on the other side of that fence. But anyway, the investigator wants it all to blow over, but in the meantime THERE IS STILL POISON IN MY YARD! My animals are confined to their coops and my children to the house. I feel totally devalued by police and DA. My children could have died and they don't seem to care.

The Dept of Ag is issuing two citations. They went to his house and he showed them what he used and he told the AG officer he would do it again "tonight".

Game warden came out, saw wild geese in yard, called federal office, but apparently can't do anything until there is a dead wild bird or we have video of a wild bird eating the millet.

We put up game cameras.

We called PETA.

PETA called local law who said they had issued a "cease and desist" order and told him to clean it up. This was a lie. They had told us a few hours before they couldn't do anything about it and he was within his rights. PETA will be contacting all authorities involved. They have pressured our DA into prosecuting before. I may not agree with them 100% but they are relentless and I will do what I have to do.

Really we have done so much to avoid being a nusiance to them. We built the coop on the south side of the property. That is where the ducks hang out to, in the shade of the coop and on our OTHER NEIGHBORS pasture that they have PERMISSION and ACCESS too that has a pond. Like I said, my husband sweeps the ground every weekend. We have gone above and beyond what we had to do.

And, Jim, there is more to the story. Like his wife bragging on us to everyone in the dental office about what wonderful kids we have. He and his wife always coming out to the waiting room to talk to me and the kids. Like this man standing at the fence and talking to my little girl. His son teasing my kids saying that he comes over and jumps on their trampoline at night. My 6 year old daughter and 11 year old son seeing this man and his son at the local Chinese restaurant and going and sitting by them until we left. Yes, there is 8 years to this story and nothing we have done to deserve this.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why are you consorting with the ENEMY?!?!?!

Like she said, she doesn't agree with them 100%, but you get results any way you can. So far, it seems she's doing everything the right way. If she can't get results, she needs further help. She still has poison on her property.
sad.png
She has kids. This is her home. Just like a good mother hen would attack a pit bull to protect her babies, she needs to do whatever she can to feel safe on her own property. You can't fault her for that. Unless you have a better plan, more effective plan?​

Something to remember in this situation, the guy will most likely say he was poisoning rodents or another reason for the grain being put out that is legal. In the end you will most likely be paying out. Sorry for you having a horrible neighbor.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Like she said, she doesn't agree with them 100%, but you get results any way you can. So far, it seems she's doing everything the right way. If she can't get results, she needs further help. She still has poison on her property.
sad.png
She has kids. This is her home. Just like a good mother hen would attack a pit bull to protect her babies, she needs to do whatever she can to feel safe on her own property. You can't fault her for that. Unless you have a better plan, more effective plan?

.....​

The enemy lives next door.

Quote:
If you read through all the posts you will see that he has already admitted doing this to kill the chickens. He has told this to the police. Hf e has threatened to continue to the Dept. of Ag. officer. The grain is gopher bait and it is not legal to put it on the top of the ground. Gophers will not come eat it on top of the ground. The package says using it improperly is against federal law. That's why he's getting citations from Dept. of Ag.

And, (just venting more, sorry), IF our birds were getting on his property, why did he need to bait them where they could reach it from ours. If he stood 10 ft on his side and poured out grain, the birds would go over there if they could. But they can't.

I haven't read the whole thread but believe I've got the gist of it. The neighbor is likely to continue to terrorize you and your family in this manner because he really didn't get into any kind of trouble because of it.

I've found that most really mean people will devote more time than you have to making you miserable...they thrive on it and live for it. They think about it daily and plot about different ways to be hateful. In other words, they win by sheer devotion to the chore of making you suffer....who has the time needed to combat that level of insanity?

If I just was locked into living there, I'd erect an 8 ft. privacy fence between your property line, if financially able to do so, and keep all animals away from that side of the yard....he will just throw the poison over in the middle of the night anyway, fence or no.

If not locked into living there, I'd move. I've done so before....even moved clear across the state to escape insane people. I now live with no near neighbors and it is a total dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom