If not coccidiosis what could it be? pooing red and goo EVERYDAY, no other symptoms.

I agree those recent pictures and in particular the last one looks like a worm, but not a tapeworm and not any other sort of worm I am familiar with. Could they be eating something which is not digesting properly. Maybe some sort or nematode scratched up from the ground or compost heap.
They free range, but it occurred before i started letting them out to greener pastures. I do have two compost bins in the run, which i've now taken out. And i did see the bird in question checking it out via a hole in the bin...eek. They are strange things these "threads", doing my head in.. they look like worms but not direct evidence...they are all thin and long in consistency, at times looking flat and other times looking round. The head usually seems to have a round tip with a bit of a hook shape but it could be just intestinal lining ...ahhh who knows!

Wormout tablets have the same medication as Wormout Gel. I've never used it but it was posted by @Eggcessive in the following thread (see post #10) that the oxfendazole is similar to the albendazole in Valbazen. So the praziquantel would get any tapes, the oxfendazole would take care of the rest.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worm-medicine.1266356/#post-20341636
Thanks for that, I shall look into it further. It would be easier to dose them with the Wormout , as it doesn't require fasting for 24 hours and one tablet does 2kg chicken weight!! My chickens are around 1.5kgs at the moment at 18weeks of age...a bit thin I think for their age. Otherwise I'll have to use the Avitrol Plus which requires up to 3 tablets each bird.

This worm:
Screenshot_20180814-000250.png

The fatter end reminds me of
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/merial/Nematodes/images/bursaF.JPG

But I don't think that is it.
I'm still looking.

I agree that red ribbon marine worm looks very much like this, but how on earth would it get into a chicken or come out in it's poop undigested. It is not a parasitic worm from what I have read.....
I think this chicken ate some fish recently.
Maybe that way?

I'm still looking.
Human rope worm is newish...some of the rope worm pics I'm finding kinda look like this worm too.

I think this chicken ate some fish recently.
Maybe that way?

I'm still looking.
Human rope worm is newish...some of the rope worm pics I'm finding kinda look like this worm too.
it ate frozen tiny whiting fish just before the poops started (two days before)...not sure if it was that or the feed at the time.(I changed it to medicated feed next day)..maybe it had mold spores as i hear it can irritate gut also. I suspect it the whiting as the one most affected is the one who ate the most, non stop actually. The others still not showing signs of infection in poop or physically though.

Back
Top Bottom