If not coccidiosis what could it be? pooing red and goo EVERYDAY, no other symptoms.

actually its the blood it is reacting to, it bubbles in reaction to bacteria, but it has a more extreme effect with blood.

Here is a good site to pin down what is going on
poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Wow interesting! Now just have to go find some peroxide. Strangely it's been weeks now that this chicken (and the only one) has pooing this way EVERY DAY but with no visible symptoms, except vet did say she was a bit thin in the breast bone area. She is actually probably the largest of the four chickens. Maybe growing too fast??..lol

These are worms. Unfortunately I am not sure which type.
@dawg53 @casportpony
Might know.
Screenshot_20180814-000250.png

That's what I'm seeing too....the hen is passing worms.

First pic looked like round worm, but second does resemble tape.

You are in Tasmania, so hard to know what you can get, but if you can get Flubenvet or fenbendazole if it is round.

In the US we use praziquental (or Zimectin Gold) for tapes.

Worm load would cause passing of worms and possibly some blood as well.

LofMc

You guys are amazing...thank you so much...I suspected a bit as the threads are too uniform and consistent to be intestinal lining. My pet shop guy (also chicken owner) also suggested it was a thread worm. Maybe the test came out negative as it didn't have worm residue at that particular time, just intestinal lining??

Might explain why it doesn't seem to be affecting the infected chicken except for the clinical symptom of thin breast bone, suggestive of her becoming malnourished. I believe that it might have infected her after feeding the girls some frozen whiting fish when I first got them 4 weeks ago, the infected chicken developed worm infection, as it was eating them by the dozen and the appeared with the weird poo about two days later. Strangely no one else has it tho that I can see.

It could also explain why the last wormer didn't work..because it doesn't cover tapeworm. The threads are quite narrow and at times look flat bodied but then at times look like spaghetti but very narrow. I've even had suggestion of it being whipworm also. Vet couldn't find a head at the end of one of those threads so didn't know if it was a worm. But kept saying it surely felt and looked like worms though.

Anyway, I'll go now and buy a dewormer product here called Avitrol Plus (meant to cover threadworms)
COMPOSITION: Levamisole hydrochloride 20mg, Praziquantel 4mg.
Damn have to put pill in their mouths! That's going to be fun. NOT.

So do you guys suggest I keep going with the Amprolium then? I don't want to really end up with thiamine deficient chickens as I hear the side effects are not good either. Feeding them medicated feed for weeks also with Amprolium. Or can I do both at the same time??

Ahhh...I hope it's just worms! Fingers crossed.

Your vet didn't find coccidia in the feces, so I would be inclined to stop treating for coccidiosis after you finish whatever round you are on.

It could have been multiple things, but I'm thinking tape is the culprit, or some other worm type.

Praziquantel will get the tape, and the levamisole most of the others (round, cecal, and capillary), so the Avitrol Plus should do the trick.

Yes, the white fish could have done it. The others are likely infected too, just not showing symptoms. This one, being more greedy with the fish, got a heavier infection.

Try putting the pill, if small enough, into a treat like a raspberry or squish of cheese.

Hold bird, offer cheese or raspberry (pill pocket) at beak level. Bird should just eat it.

Doing one at a time ensures that no greedy gal grabs all the pill treats.

Good luck :D
LofMc

...and most farm meds come in either liquid or paste, so you can treat with an eye dropper individually (better than just trusting each bird to get enough in water)

...or put the paste in a pill pocket.

LofMc

I've looked at ALL the photos and all of them are shed intestinal lining EXCEPT KikisGirls post #13 which appears to be a piece of shed intestinal lining with a tapeworm section attached.
@vills you'll need a wormer that contains praziquantel to treat for tapeworms. Levamisol will not treat tapeworms.
Also, threadworms are capillary worms and normally require a microscope to see them. They can also cause shed intestinal lining and blood in feces much like cocci. However they wouldve been seen on the microscopic slide because they are so numerous due to the damage they are causing in your hen. Yet the test was negative for worms, so that eliminates capillary worms, not to mention you treated them with levamisole which kills capillary worms. Obviously there wernt any tapeworm segments in the fecal samples at the time of testing or they wouldve notified you.
Severe tapeworm infections can cause what you're seeing and uncooked fish is known to be a vector for tapeworms.

Back
Top Bottom