If not coccidiosis what could it be? pooing red and goo EVERYDAY, no other symptoms.

Ok. Thanks.
I don't think you need to buy another bag of this.[/QUO

ok cool. Thanks for all the info on worms...i;m still at it and think I'm about to give up trying to work out which worm could be the culprit. seems like some times it looks like round worm and then at other times it seems like a type of tapeworm. ahh. Anyway I'll worm them in the morning. I was just advised by a person who works for the company that makes the Avitrol plus that i don't need to fast them for 24 hours as instructions are really for pigeons, the rep checked with the vet who works for the company. But think I'll give it a try with fasting. Just hope free ranging doesn't cause them to eat anything they shouldn't also. IF worming doesn't stop the poos not sure what I'll do next. Still waiting to hear from vet about bacterial smear test results also.

I personally would give them each the med first thing in the morning and let them eat what ever they want.
I don't get the whole with hold feed bologna one bit.:confused::oops:

I agree with @KikisGirls, just my opinion. Bovatec is generally used in cattle feed.
Just so you know, it's toxic to sheep, horses and dogs, and can be fatal to them if ingested. If you have other animals precautions should be taken. For what it's worth, I would try to use a non medicated feed personally, and only medicate birds if they are ill and need it.
https://www.tsln.com/horse-rodeo/bovatec-rumensin-ingestion/
Oh seems like it's very toxic...nothing like Amprolium? which is what the the guy who i bought it from said it was. I have a bit left anyway and Ill start mixing it with new layer feed that I will be buying. I only purchased after first bloody poo came out due to suspected coccidiosis, but i though it was a form of Amprolium.

All the wild birds have been eating it as well...hope it doesn't affect them also. Thanks for that tip, much appreciate it. Sounds like some scary stuff. And ive touched it with no gloves over and over again...eek.

I personally would give them each the med first thing in the morning and let them eat what ever they want.
I don't get the whole with hold feed bologna one bit.:confused::oops:

Not even the fasting for 24 hours prior to de-worming?
My only fear with fasting is the weak state they'll be in especially as they're already have gone through restricted diet due to suspected coccidiosis for weeks now. De worming also is not exactly a gentle bodily experience...worms are going to fight back and body has to be able to put up with possible load of worms exiting for the door in a hurry..:wee

My only fear with fasting is the weak state they'll be in especially as they're already have gone through restricted diet due to suspected coccidiosis for weeks now. De worming also is not exactly a gentle bodily experience...worms are going to fight back and body has to be able to put up with possible load of worms exiting for the door in a hurry..:wee
Worms arnt going to fight back. They are going to die.

No I would fast them for any reason. I think it's just dumb.
Do you refuse/not allow yourself to eat when you are hungry?

No I would fast them for any reason. I think it's just dumb.
Do you refuse/not allow yourself to eat when you are hungry?

Actually, withholding feed for 24 hours works great prior to worming. Worms are starving for nutrients and they are weaker, making the wormer more effective.
You'll especially want to withhold feed when it comes to gapeworms and tapeworms. I've done it for 24 hours against tapeworms and it's very effective.
I know some folks who have withheld feed for 48 hours, and their birds were fine after worming.

Important: If feed is withheld from chickens for 24 hours or more, you should wait another 4 to 5 hours AFTER worming before feeding your chickens. This gives time for the wormer to get in to the blood stream to do its job.
Then when you feed your chickens 4 or 5 hours later, feed them sparingly at first, then gradually increasing their feed as the day goes by, eventually back to normal feeding routine.
The reason you do this is because your birds will be starving and will gorge feed if given free choice feeding. Gorging feed can cause impacted crop and/or impacted gizzard. A little feed at a time is always best.

When I'm doing monthly routine worming and not dealing with tapeworms, I worm my birds first thing in the morning prior to letting them out of the coop.
I feed them 4 hours later using a shallow pan with some layer feed in it. Then later on I let them eat out the feeder. My birds do not free range.

Last edited:
Actually, withholding feed for 24 hours works great prior to worming. Worms are starving for nutrients and they are weaker, making the wormer more effective.
You'll especially want to withhold feed when it comes to gapeworms and tapeworms. I've done it for 24 hours against tapeworms and it's very effective.
I know some folks who have withheld feed for 48 hours, and their birds were fine after worming.

Important: If feed is withheld from chickens for 24 hours or more, you should wait another 4 to 5 hours AFTER worming before feeding your chickens. This gives time for the wormer to get in to the blood stream to do its job.
Then when you feed your chickens 4 or 5 hours later, feed them sparingly at first, then gradually increasing their feed as the day goes by, eventually back to normal feeding routine.
The reason you do this is because your birds will be starving and will gorge feed if given free choice feeding. Gorging feed can cause impacted crop and/or impacted gizzard. A little feed at a time is always best.

When I'm doing monthly routine worming and not dealing with tapeworms, I worm my birds first thing in the morning prior to letting them out of the coop.
I feed them 4 hours later using a shallow pan with some layer feed in it. Then later on I let them eat out the feeder. My birds do not free range.
I am sure it works great for you or you wouldn't continue to do it.
lol
I on the other hand think it's just silly and I would not withhold feed.

Back
Top Bottom