If she was your dog, wwyd?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
We have a pomeranian for almost three years now. She lives at my dads and I'm only there every other weekend. With the recent passing of his wife, Grace is left being outside from about 3 in the morning until he gets home from work at 6 or later every night. She's a small dog and would be in the heat and the cold. She can't be left inside unattended and it's too long to stay in a crate all day. I love her but I just don't think that's a life.

If you had a dog that you loved but would have to be kept outside in the 100 degree weather during the summer would you keep her or give to a family you know she could be inside with. We know someone who wants her, they have 2 other poms and are great people, but I'm at a loss.

Honestly as hard as it will be, you need to rehome her...
hugs.gif

I would also rehome her.

I dislike the idea of a single dog being outside alone for the majority of it's life. Dogs are social and they need their packmates (whether human or animal). My Chow Chow really does fine home alone because they tend to be "stand back and watch the world go by" in their nature, but we STILL got a second dog established in the family before we started leaving them outside alone all day.

Well she plays with the dogs along the back fence all day long. She loves it outside, but she gets hot. She's used to being outside during normal weather days, but during the rain, snow and excessive heat I think it'd be a lot on her. I just dunno.

When it comes to our pets, we must do what is right for them not us. It is our obligation to them. She would be in a much better place if rehomed with the family that wants her.

She needs a new home. I am sure your dad comes home from work, eats and goes to sleep. So really, what time is he spending with her? I doubt enough. Running a fence line is not enough socialization. She needs a family that will spend more time with her and tend to her needs. Which are more than just food and shelter. She needs emotional, physical and mental stimulation.

If she loves it outside and plays with the dogs across the fence, why not make her outside more comfy. Teach her that a kiddie pool is a FUN thing and she will learn that it's also a good place to cool off. During the winter, make a doghouse for her and put a heat source of some sort in it... maybe close to the house so an electric heating pad can be put in under the floor of the house. Make sure there's a flap on the front that closes. She will learn that it's the place to get warm.

All this is assuming you have a smart dog that can be taught these things
wink.png

Sometimes the greatest love we can show is letting go. If there is someone who really wants her, she would be better off where people can give her a lot of attention. You obviously love her and care for her very much and it is good that you are thinking of giving her to someone else who really has the time for her.

I can't bring her to my house because we have 5 dogs and she is a chicken killer and my chicken dog (in avatar) has attacked her 3 times already and will not let up. It's not fair to Willow to be in a cage when Grace is here or Grace to be in a cage either. I wish she could come here but I can't without punishing a current dog.

Back
Top Bottom