If you could choose...

BCMominMD

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Southern Md
pen fencing material: welded wire (hole size?) or chain link
which would you choose?

Pen will be 8x15 -20. It will be attached to a shed coop, covered with something - not sure what, aproned 3 feet up and L'd out with something appropriate- not sure what. I swear I have been studying this site every day for months until my eyes are rolling on the floor. The chicks are fully feathered, the shed goes up Monday and it's time to make a decision.
A kind local BYC neighbor says we have all the predators including mink and weasels - who knew?! They will be closed up at night but home alone in their pen in our backyard during the day. I guess stray dogs could get in. It will definately be hawk proof. I want to get it right the first time so I don't come home to any surprises.

Can you help me decide?
Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
Thanks - that's kind of what I thought but then the chain link seemed stronger. That's why I asked. I think I'm overthinking it!

Yeah:)
smile.png
smile.png

This whole endeavor feels like building Fort Knox!!!!
Thank you
Lisa

It's awful hard to weaselproof. They do not hunt during the day much, fortunately. Unless I had no budgetary or practical limitations at all (which I just find hard to imagine happening
tongue.png
) my preference is for 1x1" heavy-gauge welded wire, or heavy-gauge chainlink, with 1/2" hardwarecloth (or, for not *much* more risk IMO, 1/2" chickenwire, NOT the usual 1" chickenwire tho) put on the inside for the bottom 2-3'. The apron can be up to 2x4" mesh (heavy gauge) unless you seriously think you can keep rats/weasels out. Although, you probably can't anyhow
tongue.png

For the top, my preference is a proper roof. This is expensive and sometimes gets you into needing building permits. If you use a wire mesh roof, use at least 2x4 heavy gauge welded wire (smaller if you want to exclude sparrows) and make real sure it is comprehensively supported against snow load by a good system of posts and rafters.

JMO,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom