If you could create a breed or a variety of a breed, what would you make?

I'd like to make a red partridge or lemon cuckoo marans.

Or to breed the colored egg gene into any of the larger full-bodied breeds like Orps or Jersey Giants.
I’m planning on working on that this year I’m in Lovelady Texas you breed your I’ll breed mind and we can have a play date for their offspring better to get several strains to get best traits. Let me know ho it goes. Yes

A white egg layer with a calm, laid-back attitude and winter hardiness.

California Greys seem like they might fit the bill, but I can't find a single breeder or even hatchery with them!

The girl in my profile picture was an Austra White (Australorp x white leghorn) and she was awesome. Now, I only had one and this doesn't represent the breed, but I think the Australorp breed made her cool as a cucumber and the Leghorn gave the white gene and small body size. She used to come strolling into my house to hang out with me since she could get over the 4 foot fence that none of the other fat hens could. This fence jumping got her into a losing battle with a neighbor's dog, though. :(

Have not been able to get my hands on this breed since Lily, but I currently have a California White that I'm pretty happy with. As far as winter hardiness, I live in Colorado and my town can go down to -30 on some nights. The Mediterranean breeds that I wasn't supposed to have all fared fine, with only frost-bitten combs. With a proper coop and buddies to huddle with I think a lot of breeds are hardier than we give them credit for.

Reese - 6 weeks

reese512.jpg

Out of 66 hatched, he is the only one who looks like that.
I was expecting a lot of them to look similar to that.
He is not what I am going for.

Last edited:
I love this topic and was hoping to see some projects others were working on.
I don't mess with trying to create a new breed. That's a ton of work but I do work with making new varieties.
I work with leghorns and like most I started with some whites and some browns. Since that seemed pretty limited I made what I knew the two could be used for Pyle.
Pyle didn't really fascinate me so I started looking into harder to find colors and as my collection grew so did my ideas for projects.
I'm a few years in now and have created a few.
Here's a few of them.
Blue on left. Lavender on right
20180302_182710-1 (1) (1).jpg

Lavender
20180512_192158-1.jpg

Barred mottled
20180401_193918-1.jpg

Barred mottled
20180830_180250-1.jpg

Black tailed buff
20180705_174150-1.jpg

White tailed buff
20180705_173906-1.jpg

Barred lavender
20180302_180050-1.jpg

I love this topic and was hoping to see some projects others were working on.
I don't mess with trying to create a new breed. That's a ton of work but I do work with making new varieties.
I work with leghorns and like most I started with some whites and some browns. Since that seemed pretty limited I made what I knew the two could be used for Pyle.
Pyle didn't really fascinate me so I started looking into harder to find colors and as my collection grew so did my ideas for projects.
I'm a few years in now and have created a few.
Here's a few of them.
Blue on left. Lavender on rightView attachment 1772561
Lavender
View attachment 1772568
Barred mottled
View attachment 1772569
Barred mottled
View attachment 1772570
Black tailed buff
View attachment 1772571
White tailed buff
View attachment 1772572
Barred lavender
View attachment 1772573

Really love the barred mottled, that's a gorgeous bird! The lavender is sharp too.

Back
Top Bottom