If you had to choose.............

Quote:
Deerman, are those pictures you've taken of your own birds??????????

Yes everyone belong to me. Not the best at taken pics, will post more later some colors best if seen in person.

Peach silver pied hen.
birds168.jpg

Bronze 2yr old peacock. This bird is not a pied, last year he had no white feathers.
peafowl019.jpg

Blackshoulder hen, center 2 yr old blue silver pied, white
birds022-1.jpg

Opal blackshoulder
peafowl025.jpg

Nice pics to all.
Kev, with all the breeding done to get all the colors we now, have, I'm sure some folks have tried. I'm no genetics pro by no means, but there are some 180 colors/patterns now, and to my knowledge didnt they all originate from either indian blues, muticus muctius, specifier, and imperator?

By the way, my color vote goes to the Muticus muticus Java, then the Buford Bronze!

Thanks for kind words about the spaldings.
smile.png
They get a lot of comments in person too, even had a few who admitted to not liking pieds finding themselves admiring those.

Quote:
A lot of the colors/patterns are really combinations of a color & pattern(s), when you get to the bottom of it, there are much fewer colors and patterns than it seems at first. For example, Purple is one, add Black shoulder and now you have Purple Black shoulder. Add pied and you have Purple Pied. Add to that Black shoulder and you have Purple Pied Black shoulder.. but when you get down to it on those birds, there's actually only purple, black shoulder and pied.. just three mutations- one color(purple) & two patterns(pied and black shoulder). Fortunately it is relatively easy to combine the various colors and patterns to get a broader spectrum of peafowl appearances..

All of the color and pattern mutations in captivity has been discovered in and bred from Indias. All spaldings get the various colors(pied, cameo etc) from Indias. One exception might be Jade, which apparently was discovered in Spaldings but then Spaldings are a mix of Indian and Green so that's a gray area right there.

There have been a few reports of white Greens showing up but have not personally seen pictures of them and AFAIK none of them are in USA.

In short it kind of is best to say that all color and pattern mutations in captivity so far all have their origins in the Indian gene pool. Not that it's impossible to get a new or independent mutations in any of the Greens. If a white can show up in Indians, in theory it can show up in pure Green stock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom