If you have long-term houseguests....

I moved out of an apartment years ago when my roommate's brother and dog moved in while the brother was looking for a job. But that was easy. We were renting, the lease was in my roommate's name, and no dogs were allowed. Woke up to a pile outside my bedroom door and I was gone. You don't have that option because you would have to move back in and clean after they left. I understand your position and you have my sympathy. The way I understand this you would allow it to have free run of the kitchen. I think you are being overgenerous with it not being housebroken. I think in the crate in the shade under your carport so it doesn't cook in the sun is more appropriate, but you are much nicer than I am.

As far as the dishes. We have relatives that stay with us for about a week every year while they are on vacation. Really enjoy having them here and it is a set time since they have to keep moving to see everyone. They work overseas and have a limited time at home every year. Sometimes they have their grown daughter with them and sometimes they do not. They often want to do their part and wash the dishes. I really prefer to wash them myself. I can get them clean! From the way you describe that one step-daughter, you might want to think about that.

UGH... when the kids help, God love 'em... they get them clean all right... so much so that you can still see all the soap bubbles on them in the drainer.
sickbyc.gif

Well... at least they USE soap... that's something... right?

Not much consolation when you grab a cup out of there for a swig of water though.
lau.gif

Come to think of it... that's about the time DH started volunteering to help...

chickensducks&agoose :

Quote:
That is so funny! My dad, whenever he comes East, always wants to do the dishes.... they're never clean! so I have to soak 'em, scrub 'em and run them through the sanitizing cycle of the washer... (because I'm germaphobic)

you sound like my wife
gig.gif

My parents always insist o helping us with the dishes, and after they are in the dishwasher and the folks have left my wife pulls them out and washes them by hand
smile.png
I guess I didn't have to buy that super fancy dishwasher after all. She says if she can't see and feel them getting clean there's germs somewhere.​

House guests are like dead fish. The longer they hang around the more they stink.
House guests, ESPECIALLY long term ones, should not ever have to be asked to help. They SHOULD be asking you "WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP"?

Quote:
couldn't agree more!
I've had a "roomate" for over a year now, and in that year he's had a job for 2 months. Our goal was to have him pay $100/week for the space that he rents, we've managed to get about $400 out of him throughout the year
roll.png

I didn't mind making sure he had a plate of dinner after he got home from work, but when he stopped working, since he's contributing almost nothing financially, I see no problem telling him, not asking, telling him to take out the trash, mow the lawn, clean out the garage, help with car repairs, etc. He's a long time friend of the family so I can't just kick him out(though I'd like to sometimes)

The way I see it, I'm paying out the woohoo every month to have this house, and on top of paying for it, I also have to bust my hump taking care of it. why should it be any different for anyone else in the household? I already have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 11 chickens, I don't need to be anyone else's mama!

As for dogs, your house, your rules period. years ago I had another roomate who had two of the most annoying dogs on the planet, and I never could get the owners to realize that my dogs were here first. It got pretty ridiculous around here to the point I was about to put them up for sale when the owners werent looking.
cool.png

There is only one thing you can say about long term houseguests......

"Just say no"

House guests are like dead fish. The longer they hang around the more they stink.

I love that one Miltonchix! I bet you could make a fortune if you made that into a sign for people to hang above the front door. I just can't decide which side of the door you would hang it on, inside or outside.

Outside as a notice when they get there

Inside as a true statement when you toss them out

Steve​

My heart goes out to you and hope your hubby has gotten things resolved.
Unfortunately, them being his children I'd give it a few weeks before I got my hopes up about any 'improvements' made. Our 'houseguest' is SS who plays on his mothers sympathy and makes her feel guilty for saying anything ..ANYTHING. She gets onto him and he's 'good' for a couple days and right back to lazy self centered self. It's going on 2 yrs and I could scream!!! Very able to move on his own, feed self and take perfect care of his self but it's too easy for him to stay here and put us in a bind, not pay for anything but half the elect. (which doubles everytime he's moved back in).
His lovely dad used to tell him that friends are for using and that is all they are good for...we've tried to teach and tried to teach but we are the ones getting used...

Oh animals in the house...he brought a cat and never asked anything but the cat had to stay inside with ours!! Wellllll.... about 3 am one morning we heard a LOUD thump and BANG...then our poor Cockateal was screaming bloody murder for us!! I jumped up and his dang cat had knocked the cage down off the platform and was over the cage getting heading into the part that busted open...needless to say, I snatched that cat up by the scruff of the neck and she got tossed WAYYYYYYYY down into the yard!!! She will never be back inside and SS knows it..he don't even take care of her or love on her anymore (we feel sorry for her) we have to buy food for AND feed her!! Since that time he's asked several times for a dog and can't understand WHY we say 'no' ...

I pray hard each and every day that he moves out, I fight with the guilt of wishing he would grow up and live on his own, and the anger of watching him take complete advantage of his mother and I both.

I do so wish each and everyones houseguests would 'grow up' and start making their own way in life!!!
God bless you all!!!

I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

DH and our 2 kids took in some long time friends and their 2 kids a year or two back. What a big mistake that was. They were inconsiderate, overbearing and slovenly.

They only paid for groceries for 1 month out of the 4 they were with us and never any other bills. When they left, they just disappeared and took quite a little bit of my household goods with them and left their cat that they brought along - but noone in my family liked.

I was never so glad to see the back side of someone.

I'll pray for you and yours.

Back
Top Bottom