If you have long-term houseguests....

My in-laws needed a place to stay for "a few weeks" until they could find a place to live after moving here from out of state, I foolishly agreed. Three weeks stretched into 6, and I came home from work one day to find a bunk bed box in the driveway. They took it upon themselves to move my daughter out of her bedroom and put bunkbeds up in my son's room. They then moved their bed, dressers, everything into my daughters room and piled her stuff in the hall.

This was after six weeks of doing their dishes, taking out the trash, everything, on top of working full time. I asked them how the house hunting was going, they said a couple more weeks. Mind you, they hadn't paid us a penny, not even groceries, unless you count the bunk bed as payment.

Four weeks passed and I came home, cooked dinner, and sat down to eat, and my FIL told me if they could have the master bedroom, we could move into their bedroom - MY DAUGHTER'S BEDROOM - and we could each have half the house. I FLIPPED OUT. Told them they had 3 days to find a place or I would take all their stuff out of my daughter's room and pile it in the driveway. My FIL actually told me I had some nerve to threaten that.

I explained that until their name was on the deed, and they paid the mortgage and all the bills, they had no right to make decisions in my house - my FIL yells, this isn't your house, it's my son's house. My husband looks at his dad and meekly mumbles, she's right, Dad. They stormed out, complaining of how I had a warped sense of family, and amazingly, were gone 3 days later. They moved back out of state two months later and I was SO happy to see them go.

Only high point of the whole situation? My daughter has a seriously nice bunk bed in her room for sleep overs. LOL

Good luck - it seems that this world is filled with people who have a warped sense of entitlement.

Blessings-
Em

from the point of view of someone who would be homeless right now if it wasn't for a very kind friend letting us move into his spare room - I cook, I do his laundry for him, I make drinks, I buy things he's not got yet (he only recently moved in himself) if I want them, I pay for our share of food (go shopping too so he doesn't have that responsibility)... and I am extremely grateful for his kindness and make very sure he knows it. My cleaning ability is increasing (he knew I wouldn't be able to do much for a while) too.
And my partner is offering to help out with DIY etc as much as he can too.

Not all long term houseguests are users or useless. I'd be ashamed to take advantage of someone the way some of you have been taken advantage of.

Quote:
Good for you, you are a rare bird!
thumbsup.gif

My SIL had a history as a mooch, so when she called, wanting a place to stay, DH said absolutely yes, but you must have a job with 4 weeks or be looking really hard. She never showed up, decided she was better of with her boyfriend's mother after all.

Quote:
Good for you, you are a rare bird!
thumbsup.gif

My SIL had a history as a mooch, so when she called, wanting a place to stay, DH said absolutely yes, but you must have a job with 4 weeks or be looking really hard. She never showed up, decided she was better of with her boyfriend's mother after all.

I just don't believe in taking advantage of someone's kindness and using them.
And I know that if the situation was ever reversed (it won't be, because his family wouldn't let it get to that point...) I'd take him in without a second thought and KNOW that he'd do the same for us - he'd help out as much as he can too.

I consider myself blessed to have such a good friend.
my partner's looking for work, but finding any is another matter. But my friend understands that, as he's in the same situation

Back
Top Bottom