if you're illegal, how many chickens do you have?

I have 4 hens illegally...1 barred rock, 2 easter eggers, and a red star. Our neighbors are aware we have them and don't seem to mind a bit. We give eggs out to them when we have too many so I'm sure that helps too! they love getting the green ones! Even though it is illegal to me its not really a big deal..its not like we're growing and selling drugs! lol! oh, and I've had chickens now for about 3 years. We started a new flock last spring, and have always had 4 (the coop only houses 4 hens).

Last edited:
We're legal now as we moved to a rural area in Maryland. But the two decades before, we were totally illegal -- kept around 4 to 6 or so in a back yard coop in a subdivsion. A neighbor turned us in once, so the girls were "relocated" to a local farm for a month, then had a nice homecoming. We kept the peace by giving away our extra fresh eggs [and garden produce] to the neighbors, but it was alway a dicy situation. Especially when four supposedly female chickens turned out to be roosters! That was exciting when they started crowing -- I found an earth mother type to take them.
tongue.png
Chickens have been so much a part of our everyday doings for so long, it would be hard to imagine not having them.

Here you are only allowed 4 of any sort of fowl. No roosters either. I have 16 quail, so I am way over the limit.. But nobody notices my birds. The people closest to my pen think that my crowing roos are wild song birds
tongue.png

I have been illegal for a while now - St. Louis city allows up to four animals, total, and at one point this summer I had 2 dogs and 6 chickens. I have since gotten rid of one dog and one chicken died - but I ordered 6 more chicks! My neighbors on both sides love them, so that shouldn't be a problem - and there are so many people on the block breaking ordinances, hopefully no one will count my birds. I have also heard a rooster somewhere on the same block - so hopefully that will divert some attention.

Im pretty sure im "legal" wink wink, and we have 56 chickens, 11 ducks, 6 geese, and 6 quail. But I kinda think we are legal because of the MRTFA(Michigan Right To Farm Act).

Hope no city council members read this forum!

I am legal thank goodness! As devil's advocate, I will say that there have to be some regulations - just so they have something to use against those out there who disregard the basics - like cleaning and treating the animals well - then they can punish those people.

I think that if you can prove a nice clean coop and animals being treated humanely - it should be ok. But you will always have that one whiney neighbor that will report you - just cause they have no life of their owns...

Illegal here, I have 4 hens right now and am getting 2 more in a week or so. Bringing my total to 6, no more after that. No roosters, and only one girl is loud with the egg song and that is my Wyandotte. Everybody else is quiet. My neighbors are all 70+ years old too, so hard of hearing
wink.png
Never had a complaint here, occasionally I keep them cooped up until 8am so my Wyandotte doesn't scream the egg song at 7am LOL she is as loud as any rooster!

Back
Top Bottom