ihelp i cant stop itching

chickchic13

Hatching
May 18, 2016
I bought four French copper marans today. 2 blue 2 black. They range form two weeks to 8weeks. They are completely. Covered in mites!!! There is not a place on their tiny bodies that doesn't have mites crawling. I'm freaking out I dont want my flock to get them I have never had an issue with mites before. I have 40+ birds this would be a nightmare to treat. The under side of their poor little wings are all yellow with mites they are just piles on piles. What can I do asap to treat them for instant results. I'm scared frontline would be to strong with their tiny size. Help please I'm itching my self I could swear they are all over me lol

Poor little things :( What you need to do is go to Tractor Supply or another farm/feed/garden store and pick up some Sevin 5% Dust. It's in a red container. Dust the birds with it, either by putting some in old nylons and using the nylons as a powder puff all over their body, or by filling a small bag with Sevin, putting the bird in leaving just its head out, and gently shaking the bag so the dust goes all around the bird. I like the nylon method, it's less stressful on the bird.

Then, clean out the coop they're living in. Clean it well. Use a gentle soap and water. Dust everything with the Sevin (the walls, floor, roosts, literally everything), put bedding in and mix the bedding with Sevin. Wait a week, and do it all over to kill any that might have hatched in the meantime, since Sevin does not kill eggs, just adults.

Thank you! I also read some where about washing them with dawn dish soap to kill the ones on them. Ever done this?

Thank you! I also read some where about washing them with dawn dish soap to kill the ones on them. Ever done this?

I haven't done that, but I have found the Sevin to be effective. If you want, you could also get some Eprinex and apply that to them. It'll kill any mites they have, even scaly leg mites if they happen to have those too.

What with them having so many external parasites that you can see, I'd be worried about them having a high worm load too. You might want to go ahead and worm them.

Permethrin is a very good mitacide. It's what a doctor will prescribe if a person gets scabies, which is a mite. Use the permethrin in and around your coop. Repeat in a few days.

Permethrin is a very good mitacide.  It's what a doctor will prescribe if a person gets scabies, which is a mite.  Use the permethrin in and around your coop.  Repeat in a few days.

Just please be aware if you use permethrin instead of Sevin is is EXTREMELY toxic to cats. If you have a cat I would not use it.

Back
Top Bottom