Ill hen standing in corner shivering

Farmer_Neal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
So now I have an ill hen. She’s been like this since Saturday. I thought I’d give her some time to just get over it, but now I think she is in need of help. Here are the symptoms:

-She is just standing/ lying in the corner shivering with her neck tucked in but her eyes are open
-Her crop is full of a soft mush, and when I squeezed it a bit she started swallowing
-She is the only one in the flock to be acting like this
-I haven’t seen her poop
-Her breath smells just a little bit bad, but it isn’t too bad.
-Her waddles look normal, but her comb is a bit black on the top

Any ideas on what could be wrong with her? What can I do for her? Any and all help would help!
smile.png
Let me know if you have questions! Thanks, Laura (using my dad’s account, so I’m not really Neal
smile.png
)

Poor hen. It sounds like she could have an impacted or sour crop, at least that is the first thing that comes to mind. If you have a dog kennel or even a large card board box, you set her up in there in the garage or spare room to keep an eye on her symptoms. Try putting a heat lamp over her. Do a search on "sour crop" on this site. I think many threads on the subject recommend massaging the crop and giving her some vegetable oil to help break up the material that is stuck in there and let it pass.

Thanks, ChickensAreSweet. It's okay, I'm glad she's not in pain and that I don't have to see her suffer. Just wish I could have done more to help her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom