ill or broody?

Rorie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Our hen started sitting on eggs, but when we moved her and her eggs, she abandoned them. Another hen jumped on the eggs and hatched a chick.

The original hen has been sitting in the egg box for the last few days and not leaving. She is not on eggs, not even one. She is just 11 months old.

Today all the other hens are outside the coop and she is inside. The others are hangind about the door, one will go in, but run back out.

I am not sure if she is confused and broody, or if she is ill. I think she has been laying eggs this week ok, but none the last couple days. I wondered if she was maybe egg bound?

the other hens not going in the coop make me wonder if they are avoiding her as she is ill? Or maybe they just want to be out (although it is a HORRIBLE day today).

I lifted her out and she did walk about normally, but soon wanted back into the coop.

Any help appreciated

2 of my banties are broody and they spend all of their time on nest boxes, sitting on nothing they are young as well so they might just be new at the whole brooding thing.... my guess is shes fine just broody and young. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom