Illinois...

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes. It makes getting older not as bad.

The incubator's been pretty busy with lots of chicks hatching today. Unfortunately, I noticed last night that my broody hens have MITES! Big icky problem since I was hoping to add all the chicks today. (I removed an egg out from under a hen & saw little dots crawling all over it.) Last night I sprayed the infected tractor/coop & dusted the hen. This morning I had the same thing happen when I removed an egg from a broody in the main coop. I repeated the clean/ spray process for all the nest boxes. This afternoon, I put 1 chick under each hen. (Not all of them - just in case.)

I'd appreciate some advice on ways to get rid of them (quick, easy, & of course not harmful to chicks). @homeschoolin momma - What did you do for Phoe & how did it affect the chicks?

For now, all 3 hens were dusted, the nests were cleaned & sprayed. The brooder was cleaned out - so Cookie's a free range mama now. Crystal (laced orp) got the big brooder, PR is in the former quail cage, and Smudge got stuffed into a storage tub. I didn't have much time to do all this since I'm planning lessons for tomorrow's sci classes. I'm hoping I can wait and add the chicks tomorrow afternoon.

I hope to sell these chicks, and I certainly can't do that if they get mites!!!

What did you do for Phoe & how did it affect the chicks?
When i found the tiny red bugs everywhere, Phoe was just sitting on dud eggs waiting for yours to hatch. I just picked her up and turned her brown body white with diatomaceous earth powder. Since she was i a cat carrier, i just dumped everything in the "garden" and hosed off the cage. I let it air dry in the sun the next day since i had an extra cage and then sprayed the entire porch with ortho home defense. I didnt spray any on her or her new bedding. It seemed to take care of it.

On a sadder note, ive got a hawk now stalking my chickens. One was on the ground this morning trying to chase Jasper and Jake. The girls had already run into the woods and brush. No one there was hurt. But i came home from work to find one of my ccl pullets dead and her leg eaten tonthe bone. I was just holding her last night. All the bowling balls and her sister were huddle under the coop together. Its quite disheartening. I never got to see those pretty blue eggs.:(:hit

Attachments

• 20190825_135417.jpg
    20190825_135417.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 2
When i found the tiny red bugs everywhere, Phoe was just sitting on dud eggs waiting for yours to hatch. I just picked her up and turned her brown body white with diatomaceous earth powder. Since she was i a cat carrier, i just dumped everything in the "garden" and hosed off the cage. I let it air dry in the sun the next day since i had an extra cage and then sprayed the entire porch with ortho home defense. I didnt spray any on her or her new bedding. It seemed to take care of it.

On a sadder note, ive got a hawk now stalking my chickens. One was on the ground this morning trying to chase Jasper and Jake. The girls had already run into the woods and brush. No one there was hurt. But i came home from work to find one of my ccl pullets dead and her leg eaten tonthe bone. I was just holding her last night. All the bowling balls and her sister were huddle under the coop together. Its quite disheartening. I never got to see those pretty blue eggs.:(:hit
:hugs:hit
Sorry for your loss

:hugs Any loss is sad. My condolences. Those Cooper hawks are terrible and don't do fly bys. They're the ones that camp in your yard, hiding in trees, and wait for opportunities. Spray them with the hose if you can. Your dog may also help.

I am convinced we are getting turkey eggs. I don't have pics right now. I pulled out the egg tray yesterday and was moving the eggs up to make room in the back of the tray (we organize them oldest to newest). As I was moving them I realized there's three very pointed eggs. They are speckled, but so are some of our chicken eggs. The narrow, long, pointed shape is not like a chicken egg though. I haven't seen a turkey lay an egg yet, but these really do look like turkey eggs. They are laying right in the nest boxes though with the chickens, which surprises me. One of our nest boxes is large because I wanted to allow the birds to have a community nest. It's like a bunch of ladies at the hair salon chatting away when 3 or hens get in there :lau.
Regardless, WE HAVE TURKEY EGGS!:celebrate:woot

@Molpet check it out.

I am convinced we are getting turkey eggs. I don't have pics right now. I pulled out the egg tray yesterday and was moving the eggs up to make room in the back of the tray (we organize them oldest to newest). As I was moving them I realized there's three very pointed eggs. They are speckled, but so are some of our chicken eggs. The narrow, long, pointed shape is not like a chicken egg though. I haven't seen a turkey lay an egg yet, but these really do look like turkey eggs. They are laying right in the nest boxes though with the chickens, which surprises me. One of our nest boxes is large because I wanted to allow the birds to have a community nest. It's like a bunch of ladies at the hair salon chatting away when 3 or hens get in there :lau.
Regardless, WE HAVE TURKEY EGGS!:celebrate:woot

@Molpet check it out.
Pic needed
Umm I think they are too young
Is that chicken you hatched from my eggs laying? Some of that breeding lay eggs that almost look like turkey eggs.

Back
Top Bottom