Illinois...

Huh there's this member named daskahn who takes in rehomes all the time specially if you meet atleast part way you should pm him he might take them helpful to pm with photos names ages an possible meeting area

So as I might have mentioned on this thread, I have decided to get some Cream Legbar's and if I can stay focused try breeding my own line of cream legbars as well as working on my own line of potentially autosexing Easter and olive eggers...

I initially picked up a dozen eggs from a supposed 'Canadian' line that the seller was adamant didn't have any Greenfire bloodlines or heritage... When I asked the seller about their heritage, they continued to be adamant about no GF blood, but failed to provide any details of where they came from, so I doubt the claim to be true at this point, probably just pre-Rees Greenfire lines...

Only 4 of the dozen hatched, 2 roosters, a scissor beaked pullet (that will be immediately be retired from breeding) and a white star pullet... For those that might not know 'white star; is a nick name given to birds with a recessive white gene 'glitch' that is found in some cream legbar breeding lines that results in a pure white bird...

Anyway after getting the white star, I figured why not do a white spin off line just for curiosity and my own interest... So I contacted a member here that has some white stars and as luck would have it they were in California and I was going to California a week later, so I arranged to pickup some egga, due to molting season she was only able to provide me with 5 eggs... They were from a new breeding hen that has white in her lineage but it's unknown if said has the white gene, said hen was bred to a known split to white roo, so worst case some should be split and I might get some full whites... I carried those 5 eggs as carry on luggage for my flight back and all 5 took off and are due this Friday... They have origins in early pre-Rees Greenfire...

I had also ordered a dozen Greenfire Rees origin eggs from another member here, they were shipped and arrived in horrible shape, outside of box looked fine, but some egg were cracked/smashed, lots of detached and floating air cells and in the end not a single one took off... The seller was gracious enough to send me another dozen for just additional shipping cost... I candled those tonight they all have partially detached air cells, but no floating air cells, 9 out of the 12 are doing well, 2 others appear to be doing well, but I can't fully see the embryo as the veins disappear behind the partially detached air cell, and only 1 out of the 12 so far has given up, looks like a day two quiter from candling...

Now I have to see if I stay focused on breeding them for the next few years or if i just get lazy like I have been with my Black Sumatras that I was supposed to breed this year...

MeepBeep
That's really stinks about your 1st hatch. Sounds like the CA breeder was the way to go. Are eggs permitted as carry on or was it a let's see what happens kind of thing? I usually have very good success with eggs that I transport myself, but it often means a few hours in the car for me. Shipped eggs by airmail are not too bad ( like NC or FL), but if you buy from a nearby state like WI or IN, chances are they'll arrive scrambled. The only shipped eggs that had good a hatch rate for us were ones that the breeder personally drove to the PO & then she requested "Hold for Pick Up" on my end. I'm glad the 3rd egg source seems promising. Where will you keep the chicks until they're old enough for the coop? Do your white CCLs look all white, have white patches, or look like a more pale version?

Glad to know you might be a "local" CCL breeder. Who knows, maybe we'll meet someday if my DD decides to hatch CCLs for one of her 4H projects. Next year she wants to work on chicken behavioral science (training or imprinting). I'm trying to get her to work with a pullet we already own so we can avoid growing the flock. As you know, every time we hatch, there's gotta be a fav which she wants to keep. Of course, it must have a buddy to help with the transition....... and so on. Now my son's getting in on it! (Thankfully, still in Cloverbuds, so no poultry projects yet, but he wants to keep HIS chickens too.)

Ba
Bantam
I want to bring a frizzle into my breeding, but I already have my Silver laced pair and then I hatched my mottled and have 1 pullet and 3 cockerels. Uggg, tough decision. I need to think about it. Would you be selling any pullets anytime? Would love a white. That is how I would prefer to bring some frizzles into my group.

I want to bring a frizzle into my breeding, but I already have my Silver laced pair and then I hatched my mottled and have 1 pullet and 3 cockerels. Uggg, tough decision. I need to think about it. Would you be selling any pullets anytime? Would love a white. That is how I would prefer to bring some frizzles into my group.

I will be selling some but not till they start laying so maybe in the spring

Are eggs permitted as carry on or was it a let's see what happens kind of thing?

Yes, raw eggs are permitted in you your carry on, but they really want to x-ray them, a little haggling was necessary to get them hand checked even though the x-ray likely would not have caused any damage I wanted to avoid it if possible...

Here is a quick write up of my experience... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1036466/bringing-eggs-in-your-in-carry-on-luggage

Where will you keep the chicks until they're old enough for the coop?

In the house for now, I have a large pet store in wall dog display, turned on end so the gates are on top, it works well as a brooder... It looks identical to this except mine is blue and 20+ years old ;)

Once they feather out a bit and get some size I will move them to the coop with a make shift heat cave made from a fiberglass 'pig blanket' aka heating nursing pad...

Do your white CCLs look all white, have white patches, or look like a more pale version?

She appears thus far to be pigment free and pure white...

Who knows, maybe we'll meet someday if my DD decides to hatch CCLs for one of her 4H projects.  Next year she wants to work on chicken behavioral science (training or imprinting).  I'm trying to get her to work with a pullet we already own so we can avoid growing the flock.  As you know, every time we hatch, there's gotta be a fav which she wants to keep.  Of course, it must have a buddy to help with the transition....... and so on.  Now my son's getting in on it!  (Thankfully, still in Cloverbuds, so no poultry projects yet, but he wants to keep HIS chickens too.)

Kids sure love them, my 19 month old son walks by the brooder at least a few dozen times a day pointing and saying 'chickie' and the girls always want to take the birds out and play with them, they love day old chicks as they 'fit' in the Fisher-Price Little people toys, creating live action toys ;)

Back
Top Bottom