Illinois...

Junibutt & MeepBeep
I almost forgot....
Here are your chicks from DD's 3rd trial hatch. We decided to keep these 3 for now to see how they grow out.

Last edited:
Both sebrightes I had (both gone now) never went broody for me. I don't have a rooster, so all eggs are infertile. I picked all eggs daily. Silver Sebright 13 years, and Golden Sebright 8+ years.
@MeepBeep If you still have that pigeon, I can answer all your questions. I would have considered adoption, but all mine are all white and that is what I want to raise. Get a second pigeon for friendship.

@MeepBeep
  If you still have that pigeon, I can answer all your questions.  I would have considered adoption, but all mine are all white and that is what I want to raise.  Get a second pigeon for friendship. 

Yep, still have it, we are going to keep it just need to build an outdoor loft for and try to get it established and imprinted, right now it's in a large cage in the house and we take it out daily to get it's necessary sunlight... We also plan on getting it a friend, but I want to get the loft done first so they have a proper place to imprint upon... Then there there is the whole task of finding it a suitable friend :) I would rather not get it a generic flying city rat as a friend but would instead like to find it friend that has at least some bonafide racing homer lineage even if it's a garden variety, not looking to spend anywhere near what proven racing pigeons lineage goes for that is for sure... The plan right now is to hit up the Sept/Oct Kankakee swap and see what is available...

We certainly are not wanting to spend a lot only to find that our new bird won't imprint on it's new home and disappear the minute we let it out... Hoping that since it had some horrible homing ability that landed it here in the first place that it doesn't even try to find it's way back, but it appears it's anyone's guess from what I read...

Yep, still have it, we are going to keep it just need to build an outdoor loft for and try to get it established and imprinted, right now it's in a large cage in the house and we take it out daily to get it's necessary sunlight... We also plan on getting it a friend, but I want to get the loft done first so they have a proper place to imprint upon... Then there there is the whole task of finding it a suitable friend
smile.png
I would rather not get it a generic flying city rat as a friend but would instead like to find it friend that has at least some bonafide racing homer lineage even if it's a garden variety, not looking to spend anywhere near what proven racing pigeons lineage goes for that is for sure... The plan right now is to hit up the Sept/Oct Kankakee swap and see what is available...

We certainly are not wanting to spend a lot only to find that our new bird won't imprint on it's new home and disappear the minute we let it out... Hoping that since it had some horrible homing ability that landed it here in the first place that it doesn't even try to find it's way back, but it appears it's anyone's guess from what I read...
there is a new swap starting up in plainfield https://www.facebook.com/events/1091461887614103/

there is a new swap starting up in plainfield https://www.facebook.com/events/1091461887614103/
That's cool! I've never been to the Kankakee one - but I thought about it a few times. My biggest fear is chicken math. DH doesn't wake up early, so he wouldn't be there to keep me in check. LOL

Back in the late 1980s - 90's, we had "Lee Watson's Reptile Swap" once a month. Sometime in the 1990s increased to 2xs per month. It was held in a big barn (with electricity). Although the name said reptiles, it was also a place to buy exotics like hedgehogs, sugar gliders, misc. arthropods, occasionally birds, and always cheap rabbits, guinea pigs, & other assorted rodents. Usually the best critters were sold early but it didn't start before sunrise. Eventually the farm was sold. It changed names to be called the "all animal expo," and was held at the DuPage Co fairgrounds- 2xs a month. I went to one about 6 years ago & nearly fell over when I saw some one selling common puppies & kittens. I love dogs but I went there to show my kids fun pets like blue tongued skinks & monitors. What I also missed was all the vendors who would set up outside the barn. They would sell livestock like baby pigs, goats, ducks, & also used cages (probably picked up from the curb but convenient & cheap.)

Anyway, the new place has more space, more parking, & is bigger. Like all things, if you go to buy a pet - do your research first & know what a healthy animal should look like. The prices have always been good & selection far better than a pet store. http://allanimalexpo.com/2016-all-animal-show-expo-dates/

Back in the late 1980s - 90's, we had "Lee Watson's Reptile Swap" once a month.  Sometime in the 1990s increased to 2xs per month.  It was held in a big barn (with electricity).  Although the name said reptiles, it was also a place to buy exotics like hedgehogs, sugar gliders, misc. arthropods, occasionally birds, and always cheap rabbits, guinea pigs, & other assorted rodents.  Usually the best critters were sold early but it didn't start before sunrise.  Eventually the farm was sold.

Lee was a great guy and it was a great swap... I held a permanent 2 table spot at his show in the main (front) building for several years until I pulled out of the exotic animal business... Did a lot of before and after show talking with Lee, he was like a mentor to those (young) in the business and a wealth of information on numerous animals...

The problem now is that times change, the Internet really killed the exotic animal swap business, it's just so much easier for the big dealers and breeders to sell directly to the people now via a website vs having an army of jobbers selling at swaps...

Plus the States started to crack down, the IRS and Department of Agriculture (as well as the village) started to make regular appearances at Lee's swap and they would harass many of the sellers, especially out of state sellers... I was a licensed and registered Illinois pet store and had an IL tax number so they never hassled me but I had to display my license on the table to avoid the hassle, I saw them hassle many other sellers...

Last edited:
That's cool! I've never been to the Kankakee one - but I thought about it a few times. My biggest fear is chicken math. DH doesn't wake up early, so he wouldn't be there to keep me in check. LOL

Back in the late 1980s - 90's, we had "Lee Watson's Reptile Swap" once a month. Sometime in the 1990s increased to 2xs per month. It was held in a big barn (with electricity). Although the name said reptiles, it was also a place to buy exotics like hedgehogs, sugar gliders, misc. arthropods, occasionally birds, and always cheap rabbits, guinea pigs, & other assorted rodents. Usually the best critters were sold early but it didn't start before sunrise. Eventually the farm was sold. It changed names to be called the "all animal expo," and was held at the DuPage Co fairgrounds- 2xs a month. I went to one about 6 years ago & nearly fell over when I saw some one selling common puppies & kittens. I love dogs but I went there to show my kids fun pets like blue tongued skinks & monitors. What I also missed was all the vendors who would set up outside the barn. They would sell livestock like baby pigs, goats, ducks, & also used cages (probably picked up from the curb but convenient & cheap.)

Anyway, the new place has more space, more parking, & is bigger. Like all things, if you go to buy a pet - do your research first & know what a healthy animal should look like. The prices have always been good & selection far better than a pet store. http://allanimalexpo.com/2016-all-animal-show-expo-dates/
I think I went to that one time... I had a friend with who kept me in check LOL

Lee was a great guy and it was a great swap... I held a permanent 2 table spot at his show in the main (front) building for several years until I pulled out of the exotic animal business... Did a lot of before and after show talking with Lee, he was like a mentor to those (young) in the business and a wealth of information on numerous animals...

The problem now is that times change, the Internet really killed the exotic animal swap business, it's just so much easier for the big dealers and breeders to sell directly to the people now via a website vs having an army of jobbers selling at swaps...

Plus the States started to crack down, the IRS and Department of Agriculture (as well as the village) started to make regular appearances at Lee's swap and they would harass many of the sellers, especially out of state sellers... I was a licensed and registered Illinois pet store and had an IL tax number so they never hassled me but I had to display my license on the table to avoid the hassle, I saw them hassle many other sellers...
Small world!
We probably met back then. I had a 5' green iguana, leopard gecko, & monkey tailed skinks. (at home not at the swap) I was a frequent customer (usually pet supplies) but enjoyed seeing all the animals.

Predator(s)!!! Arrghhhh!

I have had my flock now for over three years and never had a problem. However, when I got home from work today I noticed that not a single chicken was outside, which I have never seen unless it is raining hard (and even then, you'll still have a couple outside). But this evening everyone of my nearly 100 birds was in the coop and none of them seemed too anxious to go out. It stormed today, but that was long over, so I didn't think that could be it. It wasn't until I started walking around the chicken run that I found what was left of something's dinner, which was unfortunately one of my chickens.

Most are finally out right now, but now I am afraid that I am going to have to be a little bit more aware of what's going on if something has discovered where a ready food supply is. I suppose it was just a matter of time before I had to experience this unpleasant aspect of chicken raising.

Last edited:
Predator(s)!!! Arrghhhh!

I have had my flock now for over three years and never had a problem. However, when I got home from work today I noticed that not a single chicken was outside, which I have never seen unless it is raining hard (and even then, you'll still have a couple outside). But this evening everyone of my nearly 100 birds was in the coop and none of them seemed too anxious to go out. It stormed today, but that was long over, so I didn't think that could be it. It wasn't until I started walking around the chicken run that I found what was left of something's dinner, which was unfortunately one of my chickens.

Most are finally out right now, but now I am afraid that I am going to have to be a little bit more aware of what's going on if something has discovered where a ready food supply is. I suppose it was just a matter of time before I had to experience this unpleasant aspect of chicken raising.
young hawks by me seem to be looking at the chickens... the dog ran off one this morning and one yesterday afternoon

Back
Top Bottom