Illinois...

Went to pick up kids from school. Came home to find a chick in front of the broody totally limp but still alive. I think it fell off the 3 inch barrier I had between the broody's nest and the rest of the tray and could not get back. Brought it in and placed in the incubator. Its moving around after being heated for 30 minutes or so. Thought of bringing the broody inside but found 2 more chicks under her. So now I have just removed the barrier in case they fall out of the nest they are able to climb back. Also have placed a lamp in there. The space is getting cramped but I guess will have to live with it till all the eggs are done and chicks are able to walk around well.
Good thing you found it. The same happened to me with my first chick that hatched. It is the largest chick out of the bunch now. My broody mama's are hatching some cochin bantams right now also.There was 1 yesterday and I heard more cheeps today. I didn't block out the nest figuring there were 3 broody hens in there no one else could fit in to lay eggs. I couldn't have been more wrong. And on a sad note, I am sure my cuckoo chick has split wing. I am a bit sad, but since I got the Jubilees, my disappointment isn't that bad. My blue cuckoo project will have to wait.

Went to pick up kids from school. Came home to find a chick in front of the broody totally limp but still alive. I think it fell off the 3 inch barrier I had between the broody's nest and the rest of the tray and could not get back. Brought it in and placed in the incubator. Its moving around after being heated for 30 minutes or so. Thought of bringing the broody inside but found 2 more chicks under her. So now I have just removed the barrier in case they fall out of the nest they are able to climb back. Also have placed a lamp in there. The space is getting cramped but I guess will have to live with it till all the eggs are done and chicks are able to walk around well.
So lucky you found it and were able to fix up her nest. Chick are very hardy creatures, so there's a good chance it'll be fine.

....and
jumpy.gif
Hooray for more chicks!!! I expect to see some pics in a few days!

Here is a pic of first two chicks (including the one found limp) Definitely not chocolate mottled. Possibly split to mottled. Hoping for atleast one mottled. More pics to follow in a couple of days. Excuse the background. My son was keeping them warm.

Last edited:
This is my setup for separating a broody. Definitely do it at night. This picture is from last spring, but I currently have the exact same broody in the exact same place right now sitting on 10 eggs. I also have another dog cage just on the other side of this one with another broody. That one was actually hatched by this mama last spring so the other one is a first timer. We'll see how she does.
how did you secure the opening around the igloo dog house? I have 2 of these and 1 is a fav nesting spot.. they are out in the poultry yard that has a 6' fence but not predator proof.. I am worried that one would go broody in there and it would be great to set it up just incase.

Went in to fill the broody n chick's food and water and am kind of surprised. I think there r 2 chocolate bantam cochise chicks. The thing is my Chocolate Orp doesnt ever go in this coop and the chick's have full feathered feet. Mmmmmmm Cuties non the less.

Ok, now that everything is ok, I am going to share. I have some neighbors across the street that hate each other. 1 neighbor called the building inspectors office on the other neighbor complaining about her pool being to close to the fence, and other silly reasons. Well when he came out to inspect the neighbors, he heard my chickens. He came over and walked into my backyard as I was cleaning the coops. He said what are you doing with chickens? You can't have chickens in the city, this isn't a farm! He snapped some pictures. I told him I checked the city ordinances, and I was able to keep them, he said No you can't and on top of it you have roosters. So, this was Tuesday. Today Animal Control came out, and asked do you have chickens? I said yes come on back, she asked me "who was here, that they had us come out?" I said it was a building inspector that was across the street and he said I can't have chickens in the city. She said you can have chickens, goats, pigs, cattle and turkeys if you want to. She said I have a nice set up and beautiful birds. She loved the bantams and frizzled. She said he shouldn't have come over and said that. It would be like her going and inspecting a house being built. I am so relieved that is over with. Even though I knew I could have them, I was still nervous.

Ok, now that everything is ok, I am going to share. I have some neighbors across the street that hate each other. 1 neighbor called the building inspectors office on the other neighbor complaining about her pool being to close to the fence, and other silly reasons. Well when he came out to inspect the neighbors, he heard my chickens. He came over and walked into my backyard as I was cleaning the coops. He said what are you doing with chickens? You can't have chickens in the city, this isn't a farm! He snapped some pictures. I told him I checked the city ordinances, and I was able to keep them, he said No you can't and on top of it you have roosters. So, this was Tuesday. Today Animal Control came out, and asked do you have chickens? I said yes come on back, she asked me "who was here, that they had us come out?" I said it was a building inspector that was across the street and he said I can't have chickens in the city. She said you can have chickens, goats, pigs, cattle and turkeys if you want to. She said I have a nice set up and beautiful birds. She loved the bantams and frizzled. She said he shouldn't have come over and said that. It would be like her going and inspecting a house being built. I am so relieved that is over with. Even though I knew I could have them, I was still nervous.
hugs.gif

Oh My. You must have felt so worried all week. Thank goodness it's over.

I wish the suburbs were as open to self-sufficient life-styles as the urban areas. I wanted my dad to take a few of our favorite hens. (My sis lives with him now & really misses her farm.) When checking into the rules of unincorporated Naperville (Will Co), he can have 1 bird per 1/2 acre (I think.) I remember his number came out to be 1.5 chickens. LOL If he lived in the city of Naperville- just 2 blocks over- he could have 6 hens. When I was a kid, their neighborhood was sitting in the middle of farmland. I'd ride my bike to the dairy farm, walk down the street to buy eggs, and visit the stables to feed treats to the horses. No one cared when I had my ducks & rabbits. Now those farms have been turned into giant million dollar homes - but that land became annexed when the houses were built. His property still has well water, no sidewalks, no street lights, etc, but he can't have chickens. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom