Illinois...

Speaking of "non poultry-related" things....
Please keep our family in your prayers.
We've been having some teen issues - high school transition / growing pains
and
DH has been having some major health problems which have been growing worse over the past 2 years. Trying to figure out what it all means and figure out what's going on. Scary stuff.

.... and chicken stuff:
Mr Potential is now some delicious soup. (He was looking too lanky.) Mr Nice Guy & the Sept cockerel are my last 2 lav orp contenders. The Sept Boy needs a name. Tonight is his 1st night in the garage. He was still sleeping under mama hen. I think he needs to grow up.

Mr Wonderful is still top laced orp roo, but I'm letting his Sept son grow out to see how he turns out. So far, he looks great..... but like the lav orp cockerel, the little laced boy was also still sleeping under his mama hen. He too joined the big boys tonight.

So the cockerels who are nearing 4 months still follow their mamas. The serama chicks, however, are tough. Their mama just started laying again and is abandoning them at only 5.5 weeks. The mama covers them at night but is giving them far more freedom these days.

I'll try to post some pics when I can.

Eggs: Still getting 2 Leghorn eggs daily. Another 2-3 bantam eggs. & Finally I'm getting 1 brown egg per day. I think from 2 diff hens..... but not completely sure which ones.

and
DH has been having some major health problems which have been growing worse over the past 2 years. Trying to figure out what it all means and figure out what's going on. Scary stuff.
:hugs:hugs

Prayers

and
Wishing all the best to you and your family. 2019 has been a hard bad year for lots of people. You all hang in there and hopefully the new year will bring better things to all.

Finally I'm getting 1 brown egg per day.
It just might be your lav girl. I found a brown egg in my nest box a day or two ago.
20191204_210441.jpg

I dont think it belonged to any other of my older girls.

I still get about 1 egg a day from a faithful spitzie. The ccl gives me one every two days and then a day off. Shes still regulating her body. The seramas are also about every other day. So at least two a day.

It just might be your lav girl. I found a brown egg in my nest box a day or two ago.
View attachment 1974792
I dont think it belonged to any other of my older girls.

I still get about 1 egg a day from a faithful spitzie. The ccl gives me one every two days and then a day off. Shes still regulating her body. The seramas are also about every other day. So at least two a day.
I'm glad you're getting some winter eggs. It's tough when your doing all the chicken chores in the horrible cold weather & get nothing in return. At least some pretty eggs are a good reward.

Remember how I said I've recently been getting a brown egg a day? Well, I saw the layer in action this morning. Crystal (the laced orp broody who still sleeps with her 4 mo old chicks) was in the nest box. However she wasn't alone. Her female chick was with her. I had opened the coop to return the males to the flock after spending the night in the garage. The little laced cockerel really missed his mama & ran right up to the nest box & jumped inside. Poor Crystal had to lay her egg while in a cramped nest box with 2 overgrown, 4 mo old orp chicks. LOL

I still think I have at least 2 birds responsible for the brown eggs I'm getting. Crystal's eggs are more brown & reg. egg-shaped. The other egg had a pinkish bloom & was small + pointy. Possible makers: I have a gold laced orp who hatched in April comb getting darker), a lav orp pullet who hatched in June from @homeschoolin momma , or a Speckled Sussex hen who has finished her molt (red combed & known to make pointy eggs).

Dec 6th
Happy St. Nicholas Day! For those that celebrate it, enjoy your "shoe candy." (The term was made up by our DD when she was about 4-5 yrs old. She was very literal about things. LOL) Of course our logical DS set out his biggest boots last night because he thinks bigger shoes will equal more chocolate coins.

Dec 6th
Happy St. Nicholas Day! For those that celebrate it, enjoy your "shoe candy." (The term was made up by our DD when she was about 4-5 yrs old. She was very literal about things. LOL) Of course our logical DS set out his biggest boots last night because he thinks bigger shoes will equal more chocolate coins.
:lau

Back
Top Bottom