Illinois...

This thread is getting quiet. Where is everybody?

Anybody planning trips to pumpkin patches or Fall festivals? Where at? I'm looking for some. We like Bengtsons, but they get pricy. We also really like supporting Keller's in Oswego because they have a farm stand walking distance from home. We really don't have a Fall festival around us though. That would be a fun thing to attend somewhere.

We used to go the Bengstons every year but once they went to an all inclusive price, the lines got so long you couldn't do any of the rides. So instead of paying a little to get in and letting the kids ride a couple of things, we now pay a ton to get in and can't ride anything without a huge wait. Konow's in Homer is decent or we go to Countyline in IN and get apples instead.

This thread is getting quiet. Where is everybody?

Anybody planning trips to pumpkin patches or Fall festivals? Where at? I'm looking for some. We like Bengtsons, but they get pricy. We also really like supporting Keller's in Oswego because they have a farm stand walking distance from home. We really don't have a Fall festival around us though. That would be a fun thing to attend somewhere.
I have been thinking the same thing but way too much going on lately.
We always go to channahon I think its dollinger family farm. They have pumpkins which I think are expensive but they have lots of play houses for the kids for free. Small farm museum type area is free. They have hay piles and a corn silo the kids play in for free too.

Roughly rte 6 and ridge

We used to go the Bengstons every year but once they went to an all inclusive price, the lines got so long you couldn't do any of the rides. So instead of paying a little to get in and letting the kids ride a couple of things, we now pay a ton to get in and can't ride anything without a huge wait. Konow's in Homer is decent or we go to Countyline in IN and get apples instead.
Keller's in Oswego has apple orchards too and is less busy than Countyline. I've been to Countyline before too.

It's been a while since we did the pumpkin patch thing. By far my favorite was always Gobberts in South Barrington. Giraffes are my favorite animals, so I was delighted to feed and pet one. They have an exotic petting zoo. When kids were young, going on a weekday before 3pm was amazing.

I checked their website and it looks like they also may have moved to an all-in-one price. I remember buying tickets for individual attractions

IMG_7420.JPG

Make sure to get some fresh, warm apple cider donuts.

We went to Garden Patch farms (Homer Glen) to pick apples. Nice variety and close to home. Seemed expensive to pick your own apples, though. We'd go for the experience and picked a few things and then bought apples somewhere else.

Apple Holler in Wisconsin was nice. (We went off-season so it was empty. With all the attractions, I think it could be a crowded one.)

More recently, we've been going to the Janesville area to get our apples. Inexpensive, fresh, amazing taste, and get to visit friends.
We like to buy apples from here: http://www.teneyckorchard.com/apples
If we want the experience of "Picking" our own we go to Apple hut in Beloit, WI. https://www.facebook.com/The-Apple-Hut-114355051955174/
They have spoiled chickens who like to beg for treats.

Speaking of WI, there's a festival this weekend called the Thresheree in Janesville. If you're into steam powered engines it sounds cool.
http://www.thresheree.com/home.html

One of the fall things we usually do is the Sandwich Fair. It's always the weekend after Labor Day. (I discovered I like the Demolition Derby.) There's also a stand (usually by the Home Arts Building) that sells the best eclairs I've ever had.

Another fun place to visit with kids is Blackberry Farm. You can walk the grounds and just sit and chat with the employees. My son loved hanging out with the black smith and pioneer cabin. It's like your own private history lesson.
https://www.blackberryfarm.info/

Back
Top Bottom